• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been out of the game, need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaaaaaaaaa

I have been out of the 64bit game since I am a poor kid =p
I want to build a AMD 64bit cpu powered computer.
Could any of you give me a list of components of MOBO, RAM, CPU, and PSU for the AMD 64 platform.
It would mostly be used for web surfing, pictures, word etc. No gaming on the computer. Being somewhat fast would be nice.

-Thanks

There are too many cores and models.
Could you give me a rig for say 1000$ and not a penny more.
Its not a gaming rig so it shouldnt be that expensive.
socket 939 would be good since 754 is going to go out the door soon.
Thanks!

This would probably be good

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ - $120
GIGABYTE GA-K8NS - $68
Enermax 370w PSU - $44
pqi TURBO 512MB - $34

Total - $266

Since you are only using this system for web surfing, word processing etc. that is more then enough. No need to spend $1000. Heck even a Sempy or Duron would be good for that.

Although it's your decision in the end, I would stick with the system you have now for a while. I doubt it is unable to handle any of the things you need to do with it. Perhaps you can wait for a more worthwhile upgrade to come along. Just a thought.

qwertyuiop said:
Although it's your decision in the end, I would stick with the system you have now for a while. I doubt it is unable to handle any of the things you need to do with it. Perhaps you can wait for a more worthwhile upgrade to come along. Just a thought.

I agree. I didn't even look at your sig before I posted, but you have a system perfectly fine for what you do with it.

I game on this one, but we need another computer in the house.
I just figured if we got a decent 64bit comp, it would last a while longer than a cheap 32bit system.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
A64 3000+ Venice core $150
a good mobo can be found for around $100
what exactly are you going to be using this rig for?

Could I get a link to newegg or zipzoomfly of that venice core 3000+ and the mobo. Also, what ram exactly should i put in it. Corsair value ram is fine, but which one. 512MB sticks plz
Thanks for all your help

realtadiquantu said:
I game on this one, but we need another computer in the house.
I just figured if we got a decent 64bit comp, it would last a while longer than a cheap 32bit system.

It would make more sense to game on the 64-bit system and OC it :D

Why can't you give them yours and build yourself a nice A64 gaming rig? Also since the PC will be for your parents no need for a A64 unless you really want. You could get a Sempron and it would be fine.

Would they be just as fine with a say 2600+ mobile, its not 64bit, but in a few years a lot of stuff will be going 64bit.

:p I talked to my parents again and the want the cheapest so its 32bit :argue:

My rig is pretty good,
But whats the best nforce 2 ultra 400 mobo and how does it compare to a nf7-s in stability/light ocing?

Thanks for all your help

Back