• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Security Alert: cannot download stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djs488

Whenever I try and download something from a hyperlink, I get a popup box that says "Security Alert" and then "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded." I am the administrator on the computer so that is not an issue. I get a similar message when I try and change the security levels in internet options. When trying to move below medium, "Error", "The recommended security level for this zone is 'Medium', the level that you have chosen is lower than this. Please choose a security level of 'Medium' or higher." Disabling my firewall does nothing. Obviously this is very annoying, I cannot download updates for anything. Anyone had a problem like this? I searched microsoft.com but couldn't find much. Thanks a lot.

Re: your first issue...Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | "Security" tab | "Custom Level" button | In the "Downloads" section of the list, under "Automatic prompting for file downloads", click the "Enable" radio button.

AFA your second issue, you can use the "Custom Level" button to override the slider settings.

"Automatic prompting for file downloads" was disabled, but enabling it did not solve the problem, I still can't download anything. Any other suggestions? Thx

Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | "Security" tab | Internet Zone | "Custom Level" button | Downloads -->File download | Click the "Enable" radio button, and click OK.

Everything related to downloads has been enabled, but I don't think that is the issue, as I still get the problem. Furthermore, firefox is a good idea, but I'm not sure if that would necessarily solve the problem either. Any other suggestions?

You never mentioned which OS you're running, so I assumed it as being XP. If I'm right in my assumption, which if any service pack do you have installed? If you have SP2 installed, check two more settings under Internet Options | "Advanced" tab..."Allow active content to run in files on My Computer", and "Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid". You shouldn't have to enable either one of these under normal conditions, but I'm just curious as to what happens on your system when you enable them.

I've got windows xp SP2. I tried both of those in the advanced tab and still got no progress. I am completely stumped, thanks for your help.

Check another setting for me...Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc and hit OK | Expand the following branch in the Group Policy Editor...

Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Installer

Right click Prohibit User Installs and select "Properties" | Check to see what the setting is, i.e. "Not Configured", "Enabled", or "Disabled".

Edit: Disregard that, I was thinking about the Windows Installer for some reason.

Although, while you've got the Group Policy Editor open, expand the following branch...

Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Internet Explorer | Security Features | Restrict File Download

Check the properties of Internet Explorer Process, Process List, and All Processes.

Last edited:
Hey man, thanks a lot for your help. When I enter gpedit.msc in the run box, it says I may have typed it incorrectly because the file can't be found. This probably doesn't have anything to do with the problem, but is kinda annoying, any other ways to get to it?

EDIT: I looked it up and I'm not sure it's available on Windows XP Home, I think its only in professional edition.

djs488 said:
EDIT: I looked it up and I'm not sure it's available on Windows XP Home, I think its only in professional edition.
That's correct...the Group Policy Editor isn't available in the Home edition of XP. Have you tried logging on to the Administrator account, and not an account with Administrative privileges...and if so, were you then able to download files without incident?

Edit: I should probably point out (just in case you're not aware) that you'll need to boot into Safe Mode in order to logon to the Admin account in XP Home. Hit F8 as the BIOS info goes to black, and before Windows starts to load (in order to access the boot option screen/boot menu)...at which time you can select Safe Mode as the boot option. An icon for Administrator will then appear.

Last edited:
I'm confused, all users on the computer have administrator priveleges. No accounts can download.

Back