• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble booting up new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prettycoolguy47

I just put together a new PC, or I guess I should say a new Motherboard/CPU with some already existing components. Here is how it looks right now:

Fortron 500W
Maxtor 80GIG
2x256 Corsair 3200
Pny 6800GT
Asus P4P800-SE
P4 3.0C

When I power it up the fans come on but no video or beeps. I swapped out another vid card with the same result. Any ideas for this lame PC builder...:)

For starters, first reseat everything - cards, cables, etc. While doing so, carefully check that everything is hooked up correctly vis-a-vis the motherboard manual and other doc. Then plug it into the wall and try it again. See if that makes any difference.

It is very possible that you have a bad Mobo and/or CPU. Now, how do you test that?

don256us said:
It is very possible that you have a bad Mobo and/or CPU. Now, how do you test that?

My initial thoughts were possibly bad mobo or cpu also. But it doesn't hurt to check everything else first before coming to that conclusion, especially if you don't have another mobo or cpu to swap with.

Ok, so you reseated everything and still no go. The next thing to try would be process of elimination. If you have another cpu you can use, I'd try that first, but presumably you don't. Q: have you also tried reseating the cpu itself? Have you visually inspected the pins?

Process of elimination. First, disconnect everything you don't need for a post. This would include hard drives, CD/DVD, floppy, pci cards, stuff like that. Strip your rig down to the bare bones and see what happens. Whilst doing that, I'd also reseat the cpu and reset the bios too.

Back