• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transferring msg's on Outlook from one PC to another

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wandl

In my office, my current computer has a bunch of saved contacts as well as lots of messages in my inbox and other folders. I'm changing computers, how can I transfer these messages and my contacts? I know there is an easy way, it just escapes me right now... :shrug:

Go to File - Import and Export. Select Export to a file, then Personal Folder File. Select the folders that you want to save (IE: all). Save where you want it to go, and finish. Then go to the other computer and do the opposite, import it back in as a Personal Folder File.

Remember to put the backup file in a place that it wont be deleted, because this will become the new storage file. By default, if you are in XP, they are stored under:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

Outlook once u inport the file creates the file in the proper directory and you CAN delete the file you used to import the emails - i do this weekly.

Mr.Guvernment said:
Outlook once u inport the file creates the file in the proper directory and you CAN delete the file you used to import the emails - i do this weekly.

Thats strange, because, when I imported the data, and deleted the file, it also deleted my personal file folder.

Why create an export .pst? Just copy the .pst in c:\documents & settings\"username"\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook - this contains your current inbox and any other folders and contacts etc. Then you can either import it back into outlook or just put it back into the same folder on the target machine.

Back