• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making money off your hobby?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jas

I'm in the process of moving into a new place, and in the course of doing so have shown my Rig to the owner of our building, and well he's asked if I could build him a multimedia rig to go with his home theater system with some cool watercooling ans case mods.

I've been in the IT industry for about 8 years now, and have doen everything from enterprise scale builds, and databse development. I've built lots o fcomputer for friends, but never so far had anyoen actually offer to pay me to build them a custom a rig.

I'm just curious who else has had their "hobby" make them some money.

I know Weapon, Cathar, and Thor have, but who else?

I do make some money, I build custom systems for people in my town, have an ad in the local paper, helps when you know the editor, I do repairs as well.

Since I have only built for friends I don't charge anything. But then I don't really offer 24 hour tech support either.

I've got abuot 5 or 6 peopel who I "take care of their machines" for. AKA, if you got beer, ill "fix" it.

Its one thing to get paid to build Sun clusters, its a whoel different ball of wax to make some money doing fun stuff, like whiping out the cutting torch and dremel and making your wife nervouse as you cackel gleefully....

I make a little when building/upgrading systems for people I know (or my parents know)... only do it if they come to me. I would probably build systems all the time, but I don't want to deal with 'tech support' issues.

do what I do, if they have an issue, I will deal with it within the first month for free, after that I charge. I make them sign a standard contract, that explains, I am not there for free tech support, I offer a 30day warranty on the system working, if anything breaks, I will eat the shipping to replace the part or eat the price to replace the component if the RMA fails, or can't be done. And consequently I only use good parts.

Edit: Why is this in watercooling?

Well, I was asking about doing Watercooling builds, not so much general PC builds/fixing.

I dont do it. I dont want to turn into a tech support b**ch.

I will advise people on getting the right system, but not from me.

ive built computers for my friends, and they always tell me to get something nice formyself and they buy it for me, last time i got a psu for a build, and the other time, i go tmy stickof patriot pc4000 ram.

I'm just worried if I start building WC rigs for people ( so far this is just one guy) Someone is going to drench their rig and blame me.

I'll need to come up with a no-fault contract.

I like the 30 day contract idea. That's how long it is until RMA's are until there out of the question. Then if your nice you can give free tech support SOMETIMES not all the time. I usually just tell people to "Use common sense" and it usually works or they just give up.

PEACE

I wish my buddy at work had some common sense,

I'm STILL trying to figure out how he jammed an IDE ribbon cable into his DVD-ROM upside down.... I mean, they have the darn slots on them.... And its not like if you put it in upside down its doesn't "fight back".

So, as far as common sense goes......

Haha yea for some reason people think computer's are like aliens and they just refuse to accept the fact that "The basics" are really common sense stuff :p

PEACE

One important thing we all should take into a consideration is that when building a new custom rig for someone, they may backout later...so I usually take estimate and get the money first or make them sign a contract: "Will not retract request" or something...

FSBxtreme said:
One important thing we all should take into a consideration is that when building a new custom rig for someone, they may backout later

Not quite building a rig, but I know refuse to buy stuff for friends (who dont have internet access (damn school)) ,after I agreed to get someone an iPod, who then backed out. What the hell do I want with another MP3 Player! Make up your damn minds!

I do a lot of custom builds for people. I draw the line at air cooling though. Too many things that can go wrong that can hold you liable. Not to mention the upkeep that Watercooling must have in order to run correctly. Which means then you become their digital water boy.

Instead of Deuce Bigelo the fish guy we could call you Binary Bigelo the WCing guy.

Last edited:
Well, I figure if you are going to build something for someone else to use you have to make it easy for them to maintain it. so...

My thought is to basically use the same fill and drain loop I put together.

Using two Y splitters, the tubing is coiled around liek shown below before it enters the pump. The top line is your fill line. The bottom line is used for easy draining.

Just tell them to drain and then flush the system every 6 months, and they should be golden.

Attachments

• fill-drain-loop.jpg
    fill-drain-loop.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 366
Back