• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordering XP 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh **** really? I guess i have to wait to make sure I have drivers for SB Audigy 2 ZS, but i think i am good everywhere else. I know nvidia covers 64 bit drivers for their graphics cards and their motherboards... so my DFI NF4 and my 6800U are good...

Though I thought this being released there is really nothing to not work unless unsupported drivers... I heard with xp 64 official release that the 32 bit applications run exactly as they have in the past...

You can just buy an OEM copy from newegg for ~$156

Then you can keep the 32bit XP as a dual boot option (TTBOMK)

Be forewarned that OEM installs won't be supported directly by Microsoft. In other words if something causes XP to force a reactivation, you might be left holding the bag as Microsoft will tell you to contact your OEM supplier for support. The OEM will have to get the authorization for the reactivation from Microsoft. Do you see the problem with that scenario?

Audioaficionado said:
You can just buy an OEM copy from newegg for ~$156

Then you can keep the 32bit XP as a dual boot option (TTBOMK)

Be forewarned that OEM installs won't be supported directly by Microsoft. In other words if something causes XP to force a reactivation, you might be left holding the bag as Microsoft will tell you to contact your OEM supplier for support. The OEM will have to get the authorization for the reactivation from Microsoft. Do you see the problem with that scenario?

Acccording to THIS ARTICLE the XP 64 upgrade seems to be avalible to almost everyone now.

I know I tried to get an upgrade earlier in the month and it would not validate the COA. So I tried again now that they changed the rules and it worked. So hopefully I will see a copy sometime in the near future.

As far as not bing able to use the 32bit XP Pro key any more, thats no big deal to me because I still have 8 unused XP Pro COA's laying around. So if i loose 1 COA to the bit gods, I can always use a diffrent 32bit one as a backup. Based on how long it takes to get the upgrade disk, I will make the decision later to trade in more of my avalible COA's

I have been running Windows XP x64 for a few days now. I set it up to dual boot with XP Pro. I haven't had any problems so far, everything I have tried has worked. However, I haven't tried a lot of stuff yet since I've been short on time the last few days. The only thing I don't like so far is that Logitech doesn't have mouse drivers and I can't seem to get the same sensitivity using the Microsoft mouse drivers. This only bothers me when playing CS:S, so I just don't play it on x64.

Only programs I have found that are 64-bit are Avast Anti-Virus and Firefox. I read CloneDVD has a 64-bit beta but haven't tried it yet.

ive already had people call my work already, using 64-bit XP, and all we can tell them is sorry call back later, our software that we support doesnt have 64-bit compatibility yet :-/

64bit Windowses are built basing on Server 2003 kernel, so tey might work really cool. Problem are drivers - you need 64bit versions and weird license. Read it a few times or more :D Generally if you follow it, by getting new Windows (64bit replacement), you declare to -=replace=- your current one with it. So it's like not getting new Windows, but exchanging.

yea but i can just wait till the driver support comes out to replace it. they are sending via snail mail the package so i can just not install it until the time is right... the offer ends sometime this summer i thought july

I have an AMD64 with Windows Home Edition.

According to that article, its impossible for me to get Windows 64. (You have to trade in Windows Professional, and its not available to openly buy)

Is this true?

I believe I mentioned this in another thread. Try the 180 day demo for free. See that everything works, then upgrade or not.

http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/

They will send you a key and you can download the iso. I did it but I don't have a 64 bit machine to put it on just yet. :(

Ven0m said:
Generally if you follow it, by getting new Windows (64bit replacement), you declare to -=replace=- your current one with it. So it's like not getting new Windows, but exchanging.

That's why its called the "Exchange" Program. ;)

When you go to a store to "exchange" a shirt thats too big, they don't let you keep the old shirt do they? lol

Back