• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good venice sli system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hainer36

hey my buddy got alot of cash lately so he is gonna buy a system, he knows someone that knows someone at asus so he can get the stuff cheap heres what he is sposed to get, he wont oc at all, even tho i keep telling him he should so critique it:
Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
Venice 3500+ (or should he go higher or lower)
2x MSI 6600GT's
4x512 Geil PC3200
This enermax psu or this thermaltake psu
He says the case doesnt matter as long as it's blue, the cooling is gonna be stock (i think he's stoopid on that) and the monitor is gonna be a 17" LCD he can find anywhere with his old keyboard and mouse
tell me, what should i tell him about this

If he knows someone at ASUS, he better be getting some 6800Us.

6600GTs are not fast. Not in SLI. Id rather have 1 6800U than 2 6600GTs. Especially an ASUS, and even more so if he gets a deal.

I think the MSI cards stink, and he should get the ASUS cards. I also think that the ASUS NF4 MB is pretty bad, and he should probally go for the DFI.

i told him that about the 6600gt's they arent that great, he still says 2 cards are better than one... :shrug: i kinda gave up at that point

hainer36 said:
i told him that about the 6600gt's they arent that great, he still says 2 cards are better than one... :shrug: i kinda gave up at that point

Why MSIs if he can get a deal on ASUS?

The make some of the best Video Cards.

Show him a thread explaining why he will be sorry for purchasing 2 6600gt's later down the road..........that will be sure to change his mind:) And why the need for 4 RAM modules?

PEACE

The DFI is better than the Asus but the Asus is still a decent mobo, your not going to want to run 4x512 because even with the venice its not going to run so well. It tends to drop your CPU OC by 25%. You would be better off with 2x1gb even if its not great overclocking memory. Im also not a huge fan of the 2x6600 if you can get at least 6800GT's because there really is no point to SLI unles you get 6800's or better, because one X800XL will cost less and give just as good or better performance.

ive tried telling him that 2x6600gt's arent a good idea, ive told him i dont like msi, and the reason why he has 2 gbs/4sticks is cuz the more ram is better... :eek: :temper: someone give me links to prove to him otherwise at school tomorrow

infinitevalence said:
The DFI is better than the Asus but the Asus is still a decent mobo, your not going to want to run 4x512 because even with the venice its not going to run so well. It tends to drop your CPU OC by 25%. You would be better off with 2x1gb even if its not great overclocking memory. Im also not a huge fan of the 2x6600 if you can get at least 6800GT's because there really is no point to SLI unles you get 6800's or better, because one X800XL will cost less and give just as good or better performance.
sad to say he isnt gonna oc it, i asked him why he said he has enough power, it runs as fast (comparitivly between amd and intel) as mine does at stock....although mine is oc'ed

Your friend isn't very bright. Just let him do whatever he feels like doing and tell him he'll be sorry later down the road for not listening to you.

-1cem4n

Back