• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7-E PWM temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KingNapalm

Registered
I was just wondering what temps I should consider ok for my system. Right now my mosfets almost never go over 50c, but its the limiting factor on my overclock right now. On the abit forums people seem to say that 90c is ok for them, but that seems high to me, but maybe its not? When loadtesting at 100% CPU load, the temp will hang at around 45c and randomly seem to shoot up to 65c for only one reading then be back at 45c.... I have them sinked, with a cooler master blower fan on them, and a 80mm fan blowing on back side of the mobo where the mosfets are. Does the volt mod really drop the PWM temps at all? What else can I do ? Or are my temps ok and I can push it up more?

I don't like to see them over 50 degrees, but supposedly they should handle 70 degrees without damage, but that don't mean they'll be stable. Not sure who said 90 was ok, but that's on the verge of a meltdown. What's the system specs (CPU/RAM/PSU) and what vcore are you using? Maybe more air flow through the case will help. Check out the links in my signature for cooling ideas.

P4 Prescott 3.0 @ 3.6 (240 FB) 1.46vcore
DDR 500 kingmax
IS7-E w/sinked and fanned mosfets (did all mosfets on mobo)
case is completely open, bolth sides are off and I cut a square out of the mobo tray where the backside of the mosfets are, and mounted another fan blowing there. Also have a 500w Xconnect power supply.

Sounds like about the only thing left to do is position an AC house fan to blow in the open case... LOL. ;)

Yeah, I'd say you could push it a little more. I would not exceed 1.5v though.

I don't think the volt mod will drop mosfet temps, but not 100% sure on that one.

KingNapalm said:
I was just wondering what temps I should consider ok for my system. Right now my mosfets almost never go over 50c, but its the limiting factor on my overclock right now. On the abit forums people seem to say that 90c is ok for them, but that seems high to me, but maybe its not? When loadtesting at 100% CPU load, the temp will hang at around 45c and randomly seem to shoot up to 65c for only one reading then be back at 45c.... I have them sinked, with a cooler master blower fan on them, and a 80mm fan blowing on back side of the mobo where the mosfets are. Does the volt mod really drop the PWM temps at all? What else can I do ? Or are my temps ok and I can push it up more?

i believe the CAPS mod is what helps to lower the pwm temp a touch, and even if not, it cleans up the power.. the droop + vcore mods MAY drop cpu temps a tiny little bit too, but then again they may not.

btw, the caps mod involves doubling up the large capacitors around the socket area, look up woutertals stuff, im not an expert on this.

I changed out the small fan on the backside of the motherboard in frusteration and mounted a 120mm fan at full blast. 5-10c lower PWM temps resulted. Probly cools everything off seeing as I can feel air from in blowing out from all around the sides of the mobo now :)
Re-used the small fan by pointing it with a handmade bracket at the mosfet below the agp slot which gets very hot. Now can touch it and it only feels luke warm, double yay! I will look into the caps mod thanks for the advice.

yeah, good job! you really need to look up woutertals stuff, im sure he said something about DROPPING PWM temps. and if it can be done w/o loud fans hey! anyone else living with you will thank you :), if i remember correctly he dropped them by at least 5C if not more... best of luck to you

Back