• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

umm, may I ? heheh (new rig boast)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dennyamd

Registered
That's what I have so far:

Case: Antec P160 !!
Motherboard: Asus A8N-E
CPU: Athlon 64 X2
RAM: 2Gb total of Corsair DDR400 DIMMs (TWINX2048-3200C2PT)
HDD: two WD2500KS (SATAII WD250Gb for RAID-0), main drive WD1000BB
Soundcard: ye ol' trusty SB Live! 5.1 (unless I choose to upgrade, but nyah)
Firewire: ye ol' trusty IEEE1394 card, as this MB doesn't have it.

Now onto choosing a video card. I may go with one of the nVidia GeForce 6600s.

This system will be used for video editing.
No gaming or no plans for overclocking.

I'm going to start ordering parts once I figure out which video card I want. If for some reason I will want to go with Matrox, I will need to find a different motherboard, one that supports AGP. Some say that Matrox is better for video editing. nVidia seems okay too though.

Dennis

wauw.. gonnah be a nice rig.

but if you're doing video-editing, and would hate to lose your data, I'd opt for either raid 1+0 or just raid 1 on the harddisk to give you some fault-tolerance.

agreed. Raid 0is too risky for videos. The speed isn't going to make that much of a difference, either, I don't think. Nice system, though. It shouldn't really matter what video card you use. Most video editing programs don't touch the video card. They do everything on the cpu. Speeking of which, which x2 were you planning on?

Bah...A very nice setup :thup: but where is your video card??? A machine like that just screams for games...even if you'll never play them, it is just nice to know that you could! :D

Oh ya... :welcome: To the forums...and may these forums bring you peace, longevity, wealth, and happiness :)

thanks,

people keep telling me RAID-0 is a bad bad idea.
RAID-1 or RAID-1+0 may be better I suppose. I really don't want to have more than 3 drives in my machine though.

If choice of cards doesn't matter, then I'll go with nVidia 6600. Though I'll need to see which one (GT, non-GT, etc)

Most likely I'll get Athlon 64 X2 4400+
1Mb cache, half grand price tag, not too high not too low.

jeeez man/people, half a grand for a tiny cpu lol - man sometimes I think the price tags on some of the hardware we all aspire to, is just plain scandelous - you know?

half a grand, that's £500.00 - five hundred smackerooonies people. jeeezzz!!!

You know, knowadays you can spend a grand £1000.00 on nothing but a video card and cpu.... talk about ripping us off... prices here in the UK are just extortionate... rip-off britain -- deffinately more truer words were never spoken imho..

redwraith94 said:
dont go with "raid" 0
but I want to I want to !

calcal said:
why an a8n-e?
First, I've decided to go with Asus.
Then, I didn't need SLI, I didn't want AGP, I wanted PCIe and SATA-II.
nVidia4 chipset was said to be a bit more modern compared to VIAs.
I wanted to go more with something I really needed.
That board had pretty much all I needed/wanted, except rhe IEEE port. It was also somewhat cheaper than the other ones and I have an IEEE card already.
I thought of DFI boards too, which were said to be more overclock-friendly than Asus, but since I didn't want to overclock it didn't really matter, so I went with Asus.

Pestoballs said:
Go with the nVidia 6600
Yes, sir. I've decided to go with Leadtek 6600 non-GT card. Cuz it had a bigger fan and was said to be quiet.

So now, I'm deciding on a power supply, and on the case again.

Don't choose a video card based on its stock cooler. Most stock coolers are not going to be quiet, so just choose on performance and replace the cooler later.

------------------
-TheGreySpectre-
I like Raid 5, but whatever you do dont go with "raid" 0 (raid 0 is not actually raid)
------------------

EH??

Not being funny or anything - but???????

Whats wrong with Raid0??

And why is it not raid? It's called Raid and needs more than 1 drive to work - 2 drives = 1 stripe each

So why isn't it raid?

It'#s worked fine for me so far - I have zero complaints...

Back