• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taking ViaAqua apart...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Patrick_

Registered
Hey all! Just got the rest of my watercooling parts today. I have a question though...

I want to do the impeller mod on the pump so it doesn't vibrate. However, I'm not sure how to actually get to the impeller. I tried taking off the backplate, but you can't get to the impeller without breaking the seal, which I do not want to do.

Anyone know how to take it apart without potentially causing leaks?

ls7corvete said:
The inlet barb comes off and the magnet and impellor assembely should slide out.

But see, I have an 1800, and I don't think you can do it with that.

As i recall,
ls7corvete said:
The inlet barb comes off and the magnet and impellor assembely should slide out.

are there any screws? almost all pumps have some way of getting into the impeller area to clean gunk out.

btw, when you do the impeller mod, dont use Gorrilla Glue like i did

gl,
david

you twist the bottom part of the pump unlocking the seal giving you access to the pump shaft.

Attachments

• Sweet pump diagram.JPG
    Sweet pump diagram.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 148
Rekarp said:
you twist the bottom part of the pump unlocking the seal giving you access to the pump shaft.

Is that the 1800? As you can see, I added some arrows and circles. This is what I tried to turn, and with a great deal of effort, to no avail. Is this the right thing to unscrew, and if so, I'll have to try harder.

Also, if it breaks the seal, isn't there a great chance of leakage?

Attachments

• pump.JPG
    pump.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 127
yeah, you want to be turning that piece. make sure you're turning it in the right direction. as you look down on the inlet barb at the inlet housing you should turn it counter clockwise I think. one way will rotate and the other will not. also, when you break the seal its ok cause there's an O-ring in there that will re-seal when you put the inlet housing back on

Yeah, what he said. :D

Adding a light film of vaseline to the o-ring wouldn't hurt either. It will come apart easier in the future, the o-ring won't stick so easy, and the seal will be better still.

Holy crap, this thing is not coming off and I don't want to break it. Should it be this hard? I'm turning it in the right direction (counter-clockwise looking into the inlet barb), and I'm using the rubber-coated handle of some pliers for leverage.

I'm starting to think that you cannot take apart the 1800, and the design is different. I've been trying for the past 15 minutes, it hasn't budged. I see where it looks like it comes off, but no go...

When al else fails,

use a hammer.

Not responsible for damage likely to incur from beating the living snot out of a pump with a hammer.

I have zero experience with that pump. But I find it difficult to beleive any pump manufacturer would seal a pump completely.

Maybe I'm giving up too easily, but I doubt it. Dad tried on the last pump, and he couldn't budge it. I just tried hammering it (yes, but I hammered the pliers, no damage to the pump) and still nothing. Agghh this is ticking me off because I'm almost sure you can get into it. I mean, it's pretty quiet, but I'd like it quieter, but if it doesn't work, oh well...

Anyone have a ViaAqua 1800 pump that they successfully opened?

i have that pump. All i did was twist it and it popped off :shrug:

it should just be an o ring in there but maybe it got epoxied?

Unfortunally i have already epoxied mine shut because i dropped it on some concrete cracking it :bang head . But i have other pumps that are built the same and ill take pictures later

Back