• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Humm...I think I fried something...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctrl_alt_del_

OK here is my situation - I finally got my MCW50 to cool my 9700Pro AIW - from what I understand, that is the only block that can possible work with the AIW line of cards - I got it installed, it looked good, kinda snug fit but nothing was forced in or anything. I fill her up, test the loop overnight and most of the day - no leaks. Power her up and I turns on for about a sec. or so and then nothing... I unplug the PSU, looked inside, no leaks - plugged it back in, fire her up and viola! Worked like a charm. I OC the 9700 a little bit, run a few 2001SE benchies, all is good. I let her on overnight to make sure she is stable - come back in the morning - she is off!! I do the same thing as before - unplug PSU, put it back and it works again - finally it stopped and all I get now is about 1 sec of lights on my rheobus and then it dies. I am not really sure of what I am asking, just some Ideas so I can norrow down the issue I guess...

here is a pic of the loop and one of the MCW50 on the vid. card

9700.jpg

loop.jpg

any help is greatly appreciated!

the green circle on the picture is there the block could be touching the TV Tuner part of the card - not sure if that could be it but only thing I can think of. The loop/computer was running great before I installed the GPU block...

How hard would it be to take off the water block and reinstall the original heatsink. Hopefully you did not fry anything but are just causing a short that causes the system to shut down.

If the water block is touching the big aluminum cover that should not do anything. The cover just acts as a electro-magnetic shield for the tuner. That shield is connected to ground, so touching it will not cause a problem (unless your waterblock touches some other components that are not at ground voltage - shorting something out)

makes sense to try the stock HS/fan just to narrow down whether or not for sure it is the block that is causing the issue. Electrical tape might also do the trick if it is an issue with grounding out against the tuner.

ok took the block off the GPU, no signs of short anywhere, contact area from the block to tv tuner was clear but my PSU smells like fried electrical stuff... I manage to boot with an old vide card and my 12v rail was down to 11.55v... could that be causing the reboots?

here is the specs:

T-Bred 1800+ @2100mhz
9700Pro
2 HDs
1 CD-RW
1gb GEIL PC3200
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
Sunbean Rheobus + 4X80mm + 2X120mm (delta)
no floppy

the PSU is this - PSU

I now know its a POS PSU - What should I be looking at so I dont get these random reboots?

PS: The curious thing is, my other box (blue on on the sig) has almost the same specs and runs on an Antec True Power 380W I think... the 12v Rails runs at a even lower 11.37V according to Speedfan - when I use the ASUS Probe utility, it reads 12.032v... weird

here is a pic

voltage.jpg

A couple things it could that I have seen. It could be your PS starting to go of it could just be a problem with the card. I had to RMA 2 of them and one was similar. The only way I could get it to boot most of the time was to disconnect the aux power plug on the card when I 1st powered up the system and then connect it back to the card before post (1~2 secs after power switch was pushed) so it wouldnt give the error of the aux power not being connected (was a real pain to do for every cold boot).

Also the maze4 works fine with just a little modding. Here it is on my 9800AIW.

AIWMaze.jpg

see thats the funny thing! I've had the card for over 1 month and it only gave me issues now that I water colled it! when it was air colled, I had no issues! I am puzzled...

ctrl_alt_del_ said:
see thats the funny thing! I've had the card for over 1 month and it only gave me issues now that I water colled it! when it was air colled, I had no issues! I am puzzled...

Yeah i'd think it could be that power supply also, I mean im not WC expert or video card expert...but Power supplies are cirtical componants...and that sounds like its just what it might be. First off..what kinda PSU u got in there? Next, do u have a PSU u could swap w/ for testing?

11.55 is very low for the 12 volt rail. I bought a different PS (Coolmax 500w) from newegg without really doing my homework. It ran ok with an Athlon XP 2.8 . I got a good deal on a 3.2, but when I installed it, it kept blue screening and crashing. Finally used MBM to log voltages and the 12 volts was down around 11.55 and as low as 11.49. I did my homework this time and got an Enermax 430w and have not had a peep since. The Asus just over 12v has to be correct as your PC would probably not even run at 11.37 volts at all.

It really could just be a coincidence that you are having another issue at the same time that you changed out your VC cooling. I've had that happen before. Always use the good 'ol process of elimination.

The way i analyze it, its the PSU, u mentioned u OC your VC and i think that triggered its demise as u said u smell something burnt on you PSU. BTW nice set-up u got there.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
fortron 530watt psu. i think its like 90 bucks. its a great psu.

Or the Fortron Blue Storm 500w....highly recommended PSU around here, and great cooling.

Are you having the reboot issue with the stock cooler on the vidcard?
If not, it might be that the block is mounted too tightly. I've bent my 9700 and 6800 with the MCW50 mounted too tightly, it may not make good contact if that's the case.

Back