• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you stop a scheduled chkdsk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geko

Hi

I scheduled chkdsk to run on my c: partition by going start>run>chkdsk /f, and it said that i could only do it in read only mode or something and asked if i wanted to run it at startup. I pressed Y to allow it to do this.

It checked it at startup, but then i couldnt stop it from doing it. I then went into the registry editor and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager and cleared the boot execute data. This stopped it from running at startup.

The problem though is that i cant defrag the partion as it says that chkdsk is still scheduled to run. The exact message, in a warning (red X) window is

"Disk Defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: ( C: )

Please run chkdsk /f."

I dont seem to have much luck with google on this problem. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks redduc, ill do that. Reading through my post again i seem to have missed out a point. When i go start>run>chkdsk /f, the reason why it says that i can only do it in read-only mode is because the /f parameter isnt set... just in case that means something.

The thing seemed to have moved onto the f: partition (windows installation) as well, as it just said the same thing when i tried to defrag that. It wasnt like that before. Then all of a sudden bang, computer reboots whilst i was in the middle of something. Then windows wouldnt load. It would post and stuff but no hard drive activity at all. I repair the installation with my OS disk and it works. I can then defrag the f: partition again, but my raid controller driver has gone walk-about with device manager saying it's not installed.

Whether all that means much to anyone i dont know :S im off to read that link. Cheers

Recovery console comes back saying "the volume has one or more unrecoverable problems". Even if i run chkdsk with no / parameter it says the same thing. Think ill just shift the lot across to a different partition, format it, then shift it back (after i finish farcry... just in case it messes something up).

Fixed the problem on c: by disabling ntfs file indexing, then right clicking the volume>tools>and used the error checking facility with both boxes ticked.

The problem keeps respawing on f: though and the above method doesnt work on it as it says that windows needs exclusive rights to certain files that are only available after a re-boot. No joy after re-boot either :shrug: It again asks me if i want to schedule it to run on start-up... lol, not going down that route again....

geko said:
It checked it at startup, but then i couldnt stop it from doing it. I then went into the registry editor and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager and cleared the boot execute data. This stopped it from running at startup.
When you say you "cleared the boot execute data", do you mean you deleted the Key? If so, you'll need to check and make sure the BootExecute Value name is present and has a Value data of...autocheck autochk* under the Key you listed above.

The binary Value name in the RH pane should be "BootExecute" (without the quotes). Right-click the "BootExecute" binary name and select "Modify" (if the value is something other than autocheck autochk*). Type in the correct value as I've shown it below. Under the "Value" column, it should look like this...

autocheck autochk*
You may also need to check the following Registry Keys...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Winlogon

Add or modify the following Value name...
SFCScan = DWORD Value data of 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Session Manager

Add or modify the following Value name...
AutoChkTimeOut = DWORD Value data of 0

The following MSKB article may also be of some help to you...

Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q316/5/06.asp&NoWebContent=1

The first time i just completely deleted the boot execute key, but then i went back in and created it again with no value. Ive put the value that you said to in there now (autocheck autochk*).

The other two keys that you said to look arent there. The location is (...SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager and ...SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager), but the keys, SFCScan and AutoChkTimeOut, arent.

Thanks redduc, ill check that other link out as well.

Back