• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

res idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voigts

How does this small res idea look. It would mount the way it is drawn with the long side down. Would it allow for the air bubbles to make it to the top, or should I do something else? The sizes are for a reason for where it will be located.

restTest.gif

Looks good. Air bubbles will make it to the top and out of the res through the 3/8'' port. The shape of the res will define how long it takes for the all the air bubbles to leave the system (that and of course all the other components in the loop).
Question: Are you going to have a screw cap or cork to close of the port once you are done bleeding and filling the system ?

That is a pretty good sized res xylicon.

Yes, I bought a brass screw-in plug for it. I still need to get an o-ring for the plug. I might try to see if can find something plastic though as I am concerned that brass might tend to make the acrylic crack over time. I have a drill and tap set that I am going to use to make the threads. I am going to use plastic barbs so that I can easily seal them. I got some IPS weld 4 and a large sheet of acrylic, so as soon as I clear some other projects out of the way, I am plan on attempting this one. I am probably going to make two of these to use for my setup.

If you can fit another 1/8" in "height," a good way to trap air bubbles at the fillport is to cut a hole about 1" in diameter in a piece of 1/8" acrylic that would be below the hole the fillport mounts in and then bond the 1/8" acrylic to the 1/4" acrylic. And, when you mount the fillport line, make sure the barb doesn't protrude into the reservoir. Because that area is higher than the rest of the reservoir, it is much more likely to trap any bubbles floating along the top of the reservoir. It also helps when you're tilting the reservoir to get at any bubbles stuck in the corners since that 1/8" lip will trap them on their way to another corner.

Just to make sure I understood your suggestion MVC, you mean putting the 1" hole 1/8" piece under the fillport the entire length of the top, right? It would make sense as it would give a place for the air to be trapped easier under the fillport.

voigts said:
Just to make sure I understood your suggestion MVC, you mean putting the 1" hole 1/8" piece under the fillport the entire length of the top, right? It would make sense as it would give a place for the air to be trapped easier under the fillport.
Yep, that's it. I was still on my first cup of coffee when I wrote that this morning so....

FWIW, it's what I did on my last reservoir because it was a PITA to get the bubbles out of the corners and into that 3/8" hole for the fillport line. I tried to find a picture of my reservoir that shows what it looks like in practice, but I don't think I've got one. (I'll see if I can get a shot when I drain the system to install my G5 when it arrives, for archiaval purposes if nothing else.)

Thanks for the input. G5, nice. You've got more money to spend than me :) You'll have to post some newer pics when you get it torn apart and put back together.

Back