• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Squeeky mouse wheel. Remedy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sage2050

my mouse wheel has recently started to squeek. its mildly annoying, but nothing i can't live with. is there any way to fix it though?

You could open it up and apply some oil/grease/WD-40, or if you don't want to open the mouse up you could just squirt some WD-40 on the sides of the wheel and let it drip down into the turning mechanism.

Vertical_Zer0 said:
You could open it up and apply some oil/grease/WD-40, or if you don't want to open the mouse up you could just squirt some WD-40 on the sides of the wheel and let it drip down into the turning mechanism.

But use very, very small amounts. Only enough to fix your problem.

Well, you know how it goes. You get what you pay for. It would be nice for cheap and good to go together, but I find that's generally not the case and you have to end up replacing the cheap component anyway.

I would take it apart, no need to worry about the warranty :p , and see if you can find what about the wheel is squeaking or put some kind of lubricant to delay it. I think in the case of mice, getting a cheap one can still last just as long as a more expensive model. I have a generic PS/2 mouse that came with a very old HP and it still works fine on my secondary rig :)

I have a tendency to always buy the bottom of the range optical mouse from either Logitech or Microsoft. So long as it's black I don't care. They always last.

if you have a tendancy to buy a certain variety of mouse, then how long are they lasting?

Can't say I've ever actually had one break in between upgrading my system..... That's generally every 3-4 years.

Back