• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD starts by it's self with no disc inside????? Ghosts??? Viri???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
This is a strange development. My DVD drive just started trying to read a disc while there was no disc in it. This just started happening. I have scanned for viri etc., and nothing. Checked the start up and still nothing. Used Nortons, Ad-aware, and Bitdefender, as well as hijackthis. Nothing. I dont think the drive is failing but what got my attention is that XP shows the little CD thing next to the arrow and the DVD lights up like its trying to read a disc. As in XP is seeing this activity. There is nothing in the drive. The timing seems random. I have checked and rechecked. If there is more info needed, ask but I would like to solve this issue. Its the goofiest thing I have seen in a long time.

Z

It is an older drive. When I use it the thing works great. On a side note I havent seen the drive do what it did last night since. I did check and replug in all cables. Im suspect of a possible loose power connection. I will continue to observe this and see. Still VERY weird.

Z

EDIT:: As soon as i sent this message the drive did that little trick again. So much for it being a power plug issue... :bang head

i've had that happen, but it was sorta OS Specific. In this case, Overclockix 3.7 For whatever reason unkown to me... every time i run a program requiring Wine... my DVD Burner, opens, closes, then tries to spin up a non-existant disk.

I'm not really sure what causes it. I think its a software glitch. Start taking note of when it happens, and a pattern should emerge.

Try reinstalling the drivers for it. I know that used to happen to my old drive about 2 years ago. I just reintalled the drivers with ones on dells website (it was an old dell P3 966MHz) and it didnt do it anymore.

So far I have tried to time it and all, and so far nothing fits any pattern.

Z

Reinstalled drivers and software. So FAR nothing weird. We are at the 12 hour mark now. (Hears the words "Use the Force , Luke.")

Z

Back