• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete - Rebuild/Re-install tomorrow - what to do with left-overs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey to all of you :p

I just ordered a Asus Nforce 2 mobo for my rig - the one in my sig below... reason is because I am just not happy with the via chipset and my current motherboard.

Thing is though now - after the dreaded rebuild of new system and reinstall of WinXP Pro and all my software, [wish me luck on that by the way :-/ ] I will now have a complete set of hardware for a 2nd system...

That 2nd rig being - my oldAMD XP 2000, the old ram that went with it 512 PC2700, Mobo in my sig, my old Geforce 5600 128mn, and the rest of the stuff like 400w psu and so on..

So what to do with the old stuff, make a 2nd rig which I could use for rendering tasks for Maya and 3dsmax, could also make into a decent firewall come server of some sorts... or I could sell it to someone..

Selling it might not be the best idea though, because the hardware is pretty outdated.. the xp 2000 isn't that much of a cpu anymore, and the ram pc2700 is bottom range ram nowadays, and the Graphics card is nothing anybody is going to pay for 2nd hand - not when they can go buy a middle range card brand new for around £80..

So what to do...

Any ideas??

BOINC or Fold for the overclockers.com teams on it!

Otherwise experiment with other OSes on it without any fear of breaking your main rig(and then still BOINC or Fold on it ;) )

Back