• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn on my next system, real life friends don't know computers!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr_Fuchs

Disabled
Long time reader, first time poster here.

I sold whats left of my Athlon64 setup to go over to intel, and now i have around 1400 in cash (banked). I would rather not put more than $700 into the next box.

I'm looking for intel 64 PCI express and DDR2 memory.

Am I being realistic, a place further into queens is selling a setup thats pretty good but its 744, should i hop on it ?

Nvidia 6600
intel 640 CPU
1gig of ddr533

$400-500 for high end.

whatis the main use of this system ?

$700 will get u an okay system, nothing spectacular.

the cpu is 300 at that shop (intel 640)

main use, gaming, lots of video editing, lots of printing, and lots of webdesign in the future (though that doesn't require much specs) - what do you consider okay ?

i would think 3.2 with a nvidia 6600 card and a gig of ddr2could be considered above ok ?

:welcome: I'd say splurge a bit on the CPU as the DDR2 is cheaper than regular DDR and get a Smithfield (dual core) or the cheapest EE you can find. :wolcome:

JimmyG said:
Oh my God...you're going over to the dark side...clutching chest :D

sure am. Looks like intel is the way to go because I am hearing good things about what these things do with DDR2 memory, and it makes more financial sense to go with the company with 80% of the market share I would like to think.

---

I don't think there are smithfields in america yet.

Looks like intel is the way to go because I am hearing good things about what these things do with DDR2 memory, and it makes more financial sense to go with the company with 80% of the market share I would like to think.

There are plenty of reasons to go intel, but neither of those make any sense at all.

DDR2 makes little to no difference performance wise over regular DDR- The only advantage is the memory is a bit more future proof.

Financial sense to with higher market share company? I have no idea what you mean by that. AMD is usually (not always of course) cheaper.

If you want a pentium setup however, I would go with a pentium D (dual core- it will be much smoother even if you sacrifice a few frames in games.)

nealric said:
There are plenty of reasons to go intel, but neither of those make any sense at all.

DDR2 makes little to no difference performance wise over regular DDR- The only advantage is the memory is a bit more future proof.

Financial sense to with higher market share company? I have no idea what you mean by that. AMD is usually (not always of course) cheaper.

If you want a pentium setup however, I would go with a pentium D (dual core- it will be much smoother even if you sacrifice a few frames in games.)

I dont mean the money i spend now, i'm saying, if i'm buying something with some kind of future proof aspect, intel has many more resources to invest on developing new stuff or better for the platform I have, when AMD seems to be struggling to pay the lightbill after that flash drive fiasco.

Pentium D is not available in america i don't think.

and as far as DDR2 goes, it does make sense for some kind of futureproofability, i've seen big differences on some benchmarks, + you can overclock better with higher rated memory can't you ?

----

OK I can live without DDR2 for now
'
I'll grab this board

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1244&item=6770227230&rd=1

Last edited:
AMD isnt going anywhere soon- the flash thing hurt the, but they arent exactly filing for bankrupcy. If they go under/lose the ability to keep up, it would be after the upgrade path would have any relivancy.

You can get very high rated DDR that will allow every bit as much overclocking. DDR2 has horrible latencies, which hurt it in some things. It seems like the overall concensus is that its moot other than for futureproofing.

Pentium D was officially released today, you should be able to get it soon.

I get your point altough I think its wrong but I want to see you pull it off with 700$.
I simply think you can get a better system with an AMD for 700$ then you can with a Intel.
You spent 100$ on a mobo and you are going to spend another !!!300$!!! on a CPU thats 400$, leaves you 300$ for everything else...
Don't see it happening.

didn't buy anything yet --- the smithfields are expensive as hell arn't they ?
http://www.intel.com/personal/desktop/dualcore/index.htm

I just watched the little video about dual core -- that looks insane,

but does this mark the end of pentium4 ?

----

Wow! the first dualies are only $250, i may seriously hold off on buying pentium 4 now, and roll with my laptop

-----

These dual 2.8's look like crap in the bench marks!

Last edited:
Flip-Mode said:
I get your point altough I think its wrong but I want to see you pull it off with 700$.
I simply think you can get a better system with an AMD for 700$ then you can with a Intel.
You spent 100$ on a mobo and you are going to spend another !!!300$!!! on a CPU thats 400$, leaves you 300$ for everything else...
Don't see it happening.

but isnt intel a better performer in almost all the above tasks he wishes to do - except gaming of course

Intel is the route to go. - as said - maybe look into the new dual core intels released.

I'm really not looking for a budget system per se (AMD) I'm only into playing the aoe series, unreal tournament and a few others----but the main thing will be video editing, since this system will also serve as a TV and I need seemless encoding recording and playback

yeah, no more AMD reccommendations, he knows what he wants.

that being said, you can get a 620-640 series, and an asus/abit mobo (P5AD2 and AA8 come to mind), along with a 6600gt

also, 1gb of some corsair/g.skill/mushkin, something good like that would work well. All you need now is a sound card, and some harddrives, and maybe a dvd-burner and whatnot... that should be around $200 max for around 160GB and a soundcard... no raptors there...

OK i have all my drives from my amd setup - (dvd's, hard drives, case etc,) i'm only getting the skeleton sort of speak.

Looks like for $600

i'm getting

ASUS P5GD1
nvidia 6600

for $600 tax free.

Picked up all the parts, I am now a fan boy!

This thing is smoking my old amd64 for general productivity, opening folders, and web browsing is faster amazingly. I'm probably going to take a little hit on games, but then again probably not since i got a much better video card

have fun with your new system, i hope you like (mutters under breath about cursed intel users)

Im just wondering what you had as a cpu for you AMD 64 setup? and you are planning on overclocking right?

Back