• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this block be better then stock? (vga)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raistlin

I have an ZM-GWB1 (Zalman VGA W/B) that i got as a part of a trade. I was wondering if this would be any better then my stock H/S on my MSI 6600GT card. I have done alot of review searching but cant come up with anything conclusive. as a matter of fact i can only find 1 review on the subject. please help. has anyone else used this block? is it junk or what?

thx

i got 2 viaAqua 1300 pumps in "uni" -> 12"X7"x2" Rad (heatercore) w/ 2-120's -> DD THX cpu-> zalman vga block -> res.

Does this suck?

what i am getting at is i dont want to break all this down just to get a slight diff in temps. now if i'm going to drop 5c or so then i can justifiy it.

imho, it's not worth the gains if any, plus I think it will just add more restriction, but then again your running duel pumps haha...

I wouldn't be bothered, specially if you have to go about re-doing your system

Off-Topic, but:

damn, crimedog, that made my day. like an AIM convo (one-person talking to other person)...

Will this work?
Yes
Should I do It?
no.
Okay, cool, thx for the help
np

LMAO...

that being said, i'd say go for it. well, if you want some higher clocks on that card. and those cards get high clocks ^^

I always water cool my video cards because stock coolers keep the temps so high and hinder the overclocks so much. It sounds like your block is restrictive so I wouldn't worry about the added restriction, especially with good pumping power.

Maybe it goes without saying, but just make sure you use a good dose of antifreeze as a precaution as that ZM-GWB1 is anodized aluminum. Should work fine otherwise, definitely should be a lot better than air.

I don't think the zalman vga block would be restrictive at all. It's a simple, single-pass tube with no pins, fins, grooves, or anything else to promote turbulence and good heat transfer. IMHO, that VGA block is for quiet, just-barely-enough VGA cooling when using a low-pressure pump like in the zalman reserator system; i.e. performance users look elsewhere. It's a way to eliminate the fan on a gpu card for noise reasons.

This type block would be a decent choice for a chipset block in many watercooling systems, but chipsets don't put out that much heat either. Compare the construction of the Swiftech MCW-20 chipset block vs. the MCW-50 gpu block. The MCW-20 is a simple pass-thru chamber with no restrictions. The MCW-50 has a diamond pin-fin matrix for greater heat transfer.

Considering the rest of your setup, I'd stick with the current GPU air cooling or get a good GPU waterblock like the MCW-50 or better.

Last edited:
it should be fine, if you are worried about breaking it all down for minor decreases, get a few things together that you might want to do to your system and do it all at once..

Nope, just a cool pic to go with the gungeek name. It is an MLRS picture from an army website. I couldn't find a good pic of the 30mm rotary cannon from an A-10 Warthog.

I used to operate this peace of equipment... "The most effective anti-personnel weapon that the U.S. Army has to provide besides nuclear weapons" 1000sq meters kill radius. With over a 75 mile shooting range (unclassified).
AKA "Steel Rain". i think that the cannon you are talking about is called a Valcon Cannon.

he he, I had this pic on my HD and it's awesome. Talk about heat transfer, this sucker would get pretty warm after a while.
m4397574-5494.jpg

Back