• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free Program to Copy Windows Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

I need a free program with which I can ghost my WinXP install onto another drive. Preferably one that can do this while Windows is loaded. I don't have a burner right now, so if that can't be done I can wait. I just don't want to have to reinstall all my programs.

You cannot copy Windows while its booted. There are files that can't be touched because of premissions.

You can use DD if you have Knoppix handy, or Norton Ghost.

You can also use the cd that comes with most hard drives. The program (such as Seagate's DiskWizard) will usually let you do an exact copy of an one partition to any other partition. I used it to copy my Windows install on my folding computer; the only thing is that my boot drive letter is now E: instead of C:. Everything works fine though.

I've never bought a retail drive before all OEM, and like I said I have no burner for at least 2 weeks, so I'll have to wait, but I'll look into Hitachi's site and see what they have

Oh yeah...you could use IBM's Disk Mangaer had a HD copy wizard option. However, it only copies the main partition, and the it is no longer available for download.

Back