• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please post pics: Thermaltake Tsunami or Antec SLK3700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarthKu

Registered
I'm about to setup a water cooling kit with 2 black ice pro radiators. If you have either one of these cases please post pics. I plan on mounting a radiator on the front and back 120mm mounts.

Also is it better to exaust air out of the case of intake air into the case? I leaning toward exaust to keep the case cooler, but I've also read its better to draw cool air from the outside. Doesn't that bring too much hot air into the case? I'll be cooling a cpu and gpu.

one thing you can do which i have heard, is you can put a radiator on the back and front, and then make both of those fans intake and then put a blow hole in the top of the case and then the PSU fan(s) plus the blowhole will exhaust the hot air.

but with the size of the thermaltake tsunami, wouldnt you have enough room to put a dual 120mm heatercore/radiator up front with alittle modding of the internal cages?

It'd be tough to put a rad on the back fan unless it was outside. Here's my SLK3700 case with a single chevette heatercore in front.

new_side1.JPG

yeah, i think it would be nice if the front was pumping air into the case, then the rear one was pushing it out, that would give you a great stream of air through your case, if you dont want to have to drill holes into thetop...

hey gun geek, how do you like your pump? sound, ect. i was thinking of maybe getting one of those..

Also i love the shroud, let me know how you built it...

The L30 is a good pump. It is quiet, but, like many 120V aquarium pumps, it has some vibration so it needs to sit on something soft like a gel pad for isolation. The entire system is fairly quiet since I isolated anything that vibrates.

The shroud is just a sturdy rectangular rubbermaid/tupperware dish about 1.5 inches deep. Four #4 threaded rods with washers and nuts hold the fan, shroud and core together. Narrow foam weatherstripping between the shroud/core and fan/shroud keep air leaks to a minimum.

nice, what do you run the rods through?

i though that looked like a tupperwear dish...

The threaded rods go completely (carefully) through the heatercore then through holes in the shroud then through the fan mounting holes. It was a standard technique and tupperware shrouds were common as of a year ago. I guess it's "old school" now. More importantly, it was/is cheap and effective cooling.

Use a very thin phillips screwdriver or something with a blunt, rounded end to carefully push the internal fins aside and make a path through the core. The fins are delicate and will tear easily. Don't use the #4 threaded rod to make the path, use something with smooth sides. Try to make the holes no larger than required for a #4 rod. Obviously, carefully plan where to place each hole.

ah sounds good, will do when i get my heatercore, where do you get these number 4 rods?

Hardware type stores carry it. A common name is all-thread or threaded rod. Usually it is sold in pieces 1, 2, or even 3 feet long and you cut it the length you need at home. Many pliers made for stripping wire and crimping terminal lugs also are made to cut small diameter screws usually #4, #6, #8, #10, and maybe the next size larger. Ask wherever you buy the threaded rod about how to cut it. You'll need 2 flat washers and 2-4 nuts for each section of rod used. The washers spread the force so the fins don't crush as easily. You can use 1 or 2 nuts on each end of the rod.

Do a search for tupperware shroud and you'll find alot of info on how to put it together.

Looks like I'm going to be mounting the rad in the back on the outside and the fan on the inside so it sandwiches the case in the middle. I'm going to be pulling air through the front rad but the way I have it setup if i pull air through the rear rad i'm going to be putting hot air into my case, so I'll probably be pushing air through the rear rad out of the case. That way I'll have both fans exhausting air.

Back