• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for the Veterans out there

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silverbreez

Registered
anyone know the wattage (heat) output of a AMD XP 3200+ barton at stock and a radeon 9500np? i'm curious if my 120mm radiator will be able to cool it effectively

I the barton puts out 80 watts of heat if I remember right and a 9500 isnt anymore then 40 watts. I believe the 9500 is closer to 30 but Im going to say 40 to be safe.

I ran a XP 2500+ mobile @ 1.85V(i believe its over 100watts) a volt modded 9700 pro, and a NB block on a single 120mm radiator. my temps weren't great, but always stayed under 60°C.

ty guys :) I'mm not clocking my barton.. but I do have my 9500 screaming at 380/315 and it needs H2o baddd.. so i was wondering..

i was cooling a LGA775 P4 @ 3.4ghz and an Nvidia 6800 just fine on a dual 120mm heater core.

i think i might get back into water cooling when i get my signature rig built next week.

Hmm.. so basically a single 120mm rad isn't really going to give me that good of temps? also.. what if I Y-channeled it and ran cool water from the res.. to the cpu AND gpu at the same time then Y'ed it back together to go into the radiator? anyone done this with success?

on a post i made, JAS said it wouldnt make any difference, i am assuming b/c its a closed system and its all coming from the same parts, i.e. taking the water from the same resivoir and the same heater core.

i might just use a a single 120mm heater core for my next water cooling system, but that'll probably just cool the CPU and ill just get a nice artic cooler / fan/copper cooler for the GPU.

:EDIT: like said above, a dual 120mm heatercore would be best.

ok.. tyvm HonHon :) hey dunno if anyone has tried or seen this.. but could i mount a dual 120mm Rad on one of Swiffy's "Radboxes"?

a Y like you are considering will decrease the flow in the block with the most resistence. water will follow the path of least resistence

sheesh.. and with my knowledge of electronics, i should have known that rule.. bc water and electricity behave similar.. well guess it's the "Daisy-chain" then ty again :shrug:

lowfat said:
I ran a XP 2500+ mobile @ 1.85V(i believe its over 100watts) a volt modded 9700 pro, and a NB block on a single 120mm radiator. my temps weren't great, but always stayed under 60°C.
Do you rember the average idle/load temps of each and your 120mm rad specs? (true 120mm or heatercore that only fits a single 120mm) And what fan on it. I've decided that it would be good for building consumer level watercooling with 120mm radiators.

I wonder what it would do to the temps if I ran my 120mm rad out the back.. and a 2 X 80mm Rad in the front :D hmmmmmm god i'm so glad i switched to watercooling :attn:

sunrunner20 said:
Do you remember the average idle/load temps of each and your 120mm rad specs? (true 120mm or heatercore that only fits a single 120mm) And what fan on it. I've decided that it would be good for building consumer level watercooling with 120mm radiators.

When kept @ 1.85V, the cpu would idle around 45ish, and fullload around 55°C if i remember. I have no idea what the 9700 idled/loaded @ because they don't have a temp sensor, however i could clock it to 435/360 up from 324/310 which was still limited by voltage, not heat. The radiator was a D-TEK pro120 (which is just a modified chevette heatercore). The Fan was a Sanyo Denki 120X38mm (107cfm @ 39dBa) pulling through the radiator without any shroud.

I wonder what it would do to the temps if I ran my 120mm rad out the back.. and a 2 X 80mm Rad in the front hmmmmmm god i'm so glad i switched to watercooling
That could work. You would want to use a Y for the two 80mm rads in front though, as that would lower the restriction but still provide the same surface area for cooling.

lowfat said:
When kept @ 1.85V, the cpu would idle around 45ish, and fullload around 55°C if i remember. I have no idea what the 9700 idled/loaded @ because they don't have a temp sensor, however i could clock it to 435/360 up from 324/310 which was still limited by voltage, not heat. The radiator was a D-TEK pro120 (which is just a modified chevette heatercore). The Fan was a Sanyo Denki 120X38mm (107cfm @ 39dBa) pulling through the radiator without any shroud.

Wow, So you could have gotten even better temps by puting shroud on the thing...

a 120mm rad can DEFINITELY handle a barton mobile. I had a 1700+ running at like 1.95volts and 2.5ghz which puts out if I remember correctly 110watts and a 9800pro, something like 60 watts. Thats 170watts atleast and i was getting ambient +14 load which isnt great but it was stable so it will definitely work witha 120mm rad.

a 120mm rad can DEFINITELY handle a barton mobile. I had a 1700+ running at like 1.95volts and 2.5ghz which puts out if I remember correctly 110watts and a 9800pro, something like 60 watts. Thats 170watts atleast and i was getting ambient +14 load which isnt great but it was stable so it will definitely work witha 120mm rad.
What kind of 120mm rad? If it was a 120mm heatercore, it's going to perform differently than Swiftech's smaller 120mm rad.

Back