• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling on Order

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XPC64

Registered
Just ordered my first watercooling kit!
Specs:
1. http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-124.html

2. http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-37.html

I got that particular video cooler because it's supposed to drop your GPU temps by 30C. I hope that's the case. All of it was purchased through http://www.frozencpu.com.
Very pleasant experience so far.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice on BIOS's or certain drivers and such that might make the board run better.

I have a 3200+ Winchester that I am hoping to get to 2700-3000. Is it possible with this setup? Thank you, I am just a newb with water cooling, so please bare with me.

personally i would have compiled different parts from danger den for the setup.

like a danger den heater core that fits a 120mm fan. and with the CPU and GPU in the loop, i dont think the gpu will get cooled down THAT much, it'll certaintly be better than air cooling, but when i water cooled my previous rig i was looking for good return on water cooling the GPU but it proved well but not as well as i was hoping.

Like I said, I know nothing about watercooling, and from what I heard, you don't want to go cheap on it and risk leaking and other things. This is what they recommended at frozencpu.com, so that's what I bought.

We'll see if it drops what it should, or I am getting my oney back. I would be happy with 20-30, but nothing less than 20 because that's what he told me.

Anyways, I appreciate the reply.

its decent..

The 6000 CPU block is certainly a nice block..

The kit looks perfectly capable of cooling your CPU with no trouble..

For the GPU i might think of upgrading your radiator or maybe just get another and double up..

Ive always heard that if your hell bent on getting a Kit as oppose to building your own setup then you should go for one of the swiftech kits

We'll see if it drops what it should, or I am getting my oney back. I would be happy with 20-30, but nothing less than 20 because that's what he told me.
They shouldn't be quoting exact specs. That number depends on your video card, ambient air temp, radiator airflow, overclocking settings, original cooling, pump speed, restriction...geeze. It'll drop temps, I'm sure, but 20C seems like an awful lot. I don't know why they told you that.

How do you plan to fit the watercooling into your shuttle?

Also, the best place to look for BIOS/Driver info is in the motherboards section.

Ohh, it's not going in my shuttle. I have an Antec Server case it's going in. Plenty of room inside.

my water cooling system before with a 3.4p4, no overclock, and nvidia 6800 256 PCi-e in the loop, i had the Danger Den TDX cpu block and the danger den acetal top gpu cooler and the gpu was around 39C idle and i think i saw it get to like 45C gaming, cs:s with all settings on high. i cant remember before temps..... but sinse the GPU was down stream of the CPU it didnt get as efficient cooling as i wanted it, i should have y-lined it.

XPC64 said:
What card are you cooling and what are temps now?
My XFX 6800GT idled at 53C or so and rose to the mid 60's under load.

The first attempt with the NV-68 block dropped those readings by about 10C.

The block has since been modified and I'm trying again this weekend.

I think the NV-68 is sensitive to mounting pressure, so you might have to tweak around with the four mounting screws...after all, you're covering eight RAM modules AND the GPU and getting the base to sit flat on all of that can be tricky.

Whew baby thats one expensive-*** setup O_O

If money is no object (you rich ******* :)) then I think you made a good choice. But you could have easily gotten an equally performing kit for much less. Personally, as far as the GPU/CPU y-line thing, I dislike Y-lining them. The GPU is made to sustain MUCH higher temperatures in a MUCH stabler way than the CPU is. It's nice to have ice-cold hardware and all, but I doubt the 5-10c difference on teh card will get you anywhere OC-wise, whereas that more efficient cooling on your CPU might get you a better OC.

Nice GFX block though. That will be a fun toy.

my only worry is the fact that the heat from both the CPU & GPU will overpower the small rad. unless you get a really powerful fan

my only worry is the fact that the heat from both the CPU & GPU will overpower the small rad. unless you get a really powerful fan
I would agree, you may have some trouble with that. If nothing else, upgrade to a 38mm deep 120mm fan for a little more back pressure. That'll help you out. If money is no problem, consider upgrading to a 2x120mm.

I stared this watercooling experience with a Swiftech kit. And I have spent months and wasted too much money redoing things as a result. You are not going to get the temps you want with both a CPU and GPU with that rad. And you really don't need a res but can use a t-line instead. You could have gotten a better setup for a lot less money. And the NV-68 is not as spectacular as what it seems from what I have read on OC forums from people that have it.

You spent $345+shipping (maybe $360 total)

You could have gotten for instance:
Pump: MCP655 - $79.95
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=3112&osCsid=c16d5c0a7484e982cad1417f34bbe7f5

CPU Block - Swiftech 6000-64 $49.00
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=2310&osCsid=c16d5c0a7484e982cad1417f34bbe7f5

Rad - Double heatercore - Like '77 Bonneyville or others- about $20 at Autzone + some kind of shoud and mounting - Maybe $30-35 total

GPU - DDMaze 4 $39.95
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=2589&osCsid=c16d5c0a7484e982cad1417f34bbe7f5

Ramsinks for VC memory chips - $14.95
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...d=312&osCsid=c16d5c0a7484e982cad1417f34bbe7f5

Thermal Adhesive for the Ramsinks (mix 1/2 1/2 with AS5 so they can come back off) - $6.99

AS5- $6.99
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...d=959&osCsid=c16d5c0a7484e982cad1417f34bbe7f5

Maybe $15 for shipping

10 ft. Clearflex 60 from McMaster.com (.68 per foot) - $6.80
Really good clamps- $14.28 for 20 ($7.14 per bag)
Maybe $9 shipping

T-line and cap - Maybe $4.00 from hardware store

Total- $281.91 shipping included

This is just a detailed example. You could get other stuff from Danger Den, but this kind of shows you a MUCH better and cheaper setup. And this is buying everything new. You can get 100 posts on the forum and then get some of the stuff slightly used from the classifieds here and trim off some of that cost if you wanted to.

Last edited:
voigts I would not say what you lined out above is MUCH better than what he got. The only potential problem with the kit he got is the rad, it is small. Great pump, great blocks just a little weak in the rad dept. I would either get a second rad or a bigger rad, bip2 or 3.

you got a good kit and a good block !

how ever thees "my system is beter then every thing on the plannet becuase I built it" group do have a point that rad is way to small for the C/Watts your asking it to blow off, since you seem to be doing the smart thing and shelling out the money to do it right why not get a Black Ice Extream 3. this will give you looks, UpGradability, exceptionaly good cooling, you can posibly run the fans at a lower speed.

The single 120mm rad will work. But with the GPU and the CPU on the same loop you aren't going to see a drastic lowering over really good air cooling.

A laerger Rad, or a second rad would help a lot. Also, splitting the cpu and GPU via a Y line isn't going to do anything for you.

I understand what you mean nikhsub1, it is just that it is MUCH better in that it solves the rad issue and is about $100 cheaper when you factor in getting clamps and AS5. That IS much better!

A laerger Rad, or a second rad would help a lot. Also, splitting the cpu and GPU via a Y line isn't going to do anything for you.
Correct. In fact, splitting the line would raise your CPU and GPU temps. The water passing over the CPU will only heat up by, at most, .5*C. If you split the flow, you'll only get roughly half the volume of water per block in a given amount of time, which will seriously affect how quickly heat is removed from the CPU and GPU.

Just go ahead and run it all in series.

I understand what you mean nikhsub1, it is just that it is MUCH better in that it solves the rad issue and is about $100 cheaper when you factor in getting clamps and AS5. That IS much better!
The reason it's so much cheaper is because you substituted a Maze4 for the NV68. That's about $80 off right there. Given the effectiveness of the NV68, you could save a little money by returning it and getting a Maze4 instead. Both blocks will work, though, and the only real issue with the setup is radiator size.

yes, both blocks will work on this video card, but what happens if he decides 6 months from now to change video cards? Then he would have to sell the NV68 and probably lose at least 1/2-1/3 of the price, or he can simply move the DDMaze to the new card.

"my system is beter then every thing on the plannet becuase I built it"

It is not the point that it is better, just that I have found that putting together my own stuff allows me to customize it. In my case, for silence. For others, performance, etc.

And niksub1, compared to that serious beast of a computer you have that I have seen on these forums, no kit is MUCH better compared to your setup!

Back