• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need amd mp updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mumrah

I just opened up my case for the first time in a while the other day to start finishing my dually project.

Ever since my last attempt was botched, i havent really had motivation to continue. But, given the free time that summer allows, i've started back.

First off a little about my rig:
MSI K7D Master
2x512mb crucial pc2100 (i know, big bottleneck)
GeForce4 MX-440
Antec full tower soho case
watercooled
and currently just one XP-2500, non modded.

I really want to get this rig into a somewhat finished stage before school starts back. I know i want to get rid of that crucial and get some samsung pc2700.

My reason for this post is to get info about the status of dual barton-core setups.

Is there a stable bios for the mobiles yet?
Is my best bet to get two older bartons and mp-them?
What's up with these new sempron cpus?

Fill me in :)
Thanks,
David

Hey,

About the new Semprons, No go. They are "superlocked" I think the term is.

Also, from what I have seen is that most people are using the Mobile-Bartons because of their overclocking and that they generate ALOT less heat stock than the regular desktop bartons.

And yes ditch the 2100 and get some pc2700 or pc3200.

Is my best bet to get two older bartons and mp-them?
The best thing are Barton mobiles, as they have unlocked multiplyer and are 35/45 W. The next best thing is a pair of old bartons (pre week 39 2003?) as the low fsb on AMD760 need open multiplyer to overclock.

What's up with these new sempron cpus?
Semprons for socket A were just relabeled Applebread/Barton cores last time I checked.

Your RAM won't be much of a bottleneck. The K7D can't do much over 140MHz FSB in most cases so anything higher is largely a waste of time. I've got two PC3200 sticks in my machine, simply because it was cheaper to buy generic CAS3 PC3200's and run them at 2-2-2 at 133MHz than buy tight-timing PC2100.

You've essentially got two options. The first is to go with two mobile CPUs and the 0.10 BIOS (currently only the patch released, not BOOTFID). This has the advantage that they are not die-locked, so you can set the multiplier by pin painting or the like, and also have nicely overclocking CPUs. The downside is that your board might just reject the CPUs and you'll never get it stable.

The other option is to mobilise some desktop chips. Any desktop chips will do in this case, so going for the cheapest Barton you can find would be the way to go :) Assuming your existing chip is not die-locked, you'll need to adjust it to get the startup/L3 multiplier the same on both chips. Then install the 0.10 BIOS patch, rejoin (fill with conductive goop) all of the L5 bridges, and you should be running at a fairly low speed. To get the speed up you'll have to use BOOTFID which currently is only available as a bootdisk/cdrom. Well, it SHOULD work as a BIOS "plugin" but it's never been tested. I'm slowly progressing with the next version of it which should provide a bit more flexibility (LILO/GRUB/Windows boot loader/BIOS/bootdisk compatible).

thanks for the info, all. i at one time had two mobiles running unstable with one of emboss's older bios revisions, so it sounds like the dual desktops is the route for me.

Just out of curiosity, what's the 64-bit dual story? any boards out yet?
-David

Back