• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap radiators

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hung

im looking for any radiator thats 120mm or dual 120mm for cheap, havent had much luck, maybe you guys can scout some out :)

You should be able to pick up a chevette heater core for $20 at Napa Auto Parts. Are you looking for something like that?

JerMe said:
You should be able to pick up a chevette heater core for $20 at Napa Auto Parts. Are you looking for something like that?

i 2nd that, a heater core would provide better temp results and generally will be cheaper after all is said and done.

with a heater core, what then do you need to mod on it for it to be ready to mount to a case, and mount fans to it?

xCRF450 said:
with a heater core, what then do you need to mod on it for it to be ready to mount to a case, and mount fans to it?

A fan shroud per 120mm fan, and either really long threaded rods or some zip ties to secure the fan and shroud to the core/case.

you would have to take the copper pipes out of the top, and tap and put barbs into them, or you can just cut the pipes to your length and not worry about barbs.

as for mounting fans, if you are gonna use a shroud which i didnt and my system was fine, i used a automatic transmission cooler mounting kit for each fan, they are these little plastic rods and they come with little pads of foam so it'll vibrate less, and if you put the foam spacers in between the fan and the heater core, it'll actually elminate alittle bit of the dead spot for the fans.

honhon said:
you would have to take the copper pipes out of the top, and tap and put barbs into them, or you can just cut the pipes to your length and not worry about barbs.

You could also be lazy (like me) and just heat up the tubing by dipping it in boiling water before connecting to the inlet/outlet of the heater core. ;) Not as pretty as fitting barbs, but it gets the job done, and adds a little ghetto flavor.

hmmh, i really need to leard some more about these. Ok so 1 what do you need to do to mount 120mm fans onto heatercore? pics would be great.. 2 what do you need to do to mount a heatercore to a case? names and pics would be great. and last what is thedeal with these barbs if i get say this heatercore http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=992&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

WC-HC-D-RED.jpg

xCRF450 said:
hmmh, i really need to leard some more about these. Ok so 1 what do you need to do to mount 120mm fans onto heatercore? pics would be great.. 2 what do you need to do to mount a heatercore to a case? names and pics would be great. and last what is thedeal with these barbs if i get say this heatercore http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=992&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

WC-HC-D-RED.jpg

that heater core uses 1/2" O.D. barbs, so you would need to get 1/2" I.D. tubing for it to fit, which is good, the more water you have flowing the better.

and assuming you dont use a "normal" shroud and mount the fans to the shroud then the heater core. you can do what i did with the auto tranny cooler mounts that you can get at the local auto parts store.

i dont have a pic on this hdd to show you exactly how i did it.

but if you use a shroud you can typically use screws to mount the fans to the shroud and then you can still use screws to mount the fans(no shroud) or shroud to the heater core, but the screws wont give so if they hit a tube and you keep pushing you can cause a leak, wheres the auto tranny mounting kit is plastic and will give alittle to not puncter anything.

ah ok, i had this metal image of something completely different as i was really confuse here, but that makes alot more sence, so i would put the ran in there? or the fans in there? then the rad below that? thanks, got any pics of them all set up, then maby how it would go in my case like you did in the last post? thanks...

If you are looking for cheap, don't bother with that core from Voyeurmods. Just get a '77 bonneyville core or something from autozone and cut off the connectors. As far as mounting it goes, do some searching here on OCforums for heatercores or pictures and you will find gobs of pictures. Lots of people have posted pics of heatercores mounted. Most people put them either in the lower front or cut holes and attach them to the top of the case. You do need some kind of shroud. The weapon one in the pic above is really nice, but is not the way to go for the cheapest. The idea is that the fans mount in the shroud to direct air through the heatercore. Do some searching and you should be able to find lots of pictures.

hey, thx a lot for the input guys, i got a clear image of what to look for now

Back