• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse doesn't work..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vncent_0

Question, I just got my new hard drive and motherboard, and I installed windows on my new drive, and every other time I start into windows, my mouse won't work; its not occassionally or every now and then, but every other time I start into windows. I don't believe this is a hardware problem becuase I've used this same mouse with the same motherboard(this one is just a replacement of the other) before and no problems; what gives?

Motherboard-K7n2 Delta-LSR
OS- Windows XP Home
Mouse- Plain old compaq ballmouse

If it is an USB mouse, boot into windows using a PS2 mouse, uninstall the drivers. Now reboot with the PS2 mouse and when windows has successfully booted up plug your USB cable in. Keep the PS2 mouse in when u reboot the computer and once it has gone blank, remove the PS2 and now your USB should be ok.
Thats what worked for me when i had this exact problem.

ps2cho,

its a ps2 mouse, not that old but its not exactly new either, think it would be worth it to just buy a USB mouse?

I use an optical USB mouse by Logitech, and to be honest I have seen a lot of improvement over the old PS/2 style. USB seems to be a lot more responsive, and I know when I had a USB to PS/2 adapter on this mouse the light never turned off even when the computer wasn't on. Just a few thoughts, and trying a new mouse might fix the problem.

If it is wireless or uses batteries, make sure to replace the batteries. Whenever my mouse goes dead or randomly stops working, I replace the batteries and problem solved.

I busted out this optical mouse I bought cheap a little while ago; its been working fine so far, but I just thought it was funny that my old one wouldn't work exactly every other time on the dot :shrug:

funny my backup computer does this.it has to be either the mouse or the port on mobo.i have to restart with the keyboard for the mouse to work. i formatted last week and it still does it.

Back