• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speed up my pc ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Senator

Registered
Hiya overclockers,
Bit of a noob at thigs like this but was wondering what i can do too make my pc faster for gaming. I am currently runningthe following system
P4 2.8
Abit IC7 motherboard
Asus Gforce FX5700 265 DDR driver Xtreme G.win2kxp.75.90a Nvidia drivers --04 03 05
2 x 512 Crucial Ballistix PC -4000 DDR
2 x 40 gig 7200 rpm with 8mb buffer

At the moment noting is over clocked all is at stock speeds.if not over clock anything what would you recomend upgrading?
thanks OC
Senator

I would reccommend a new vid-card first. after that, its CPU problems.

I would OC the processor a bit, and then get a new vid card, maybe something like a 6600GT or if you're daring, a 6800Nu... 6800+ would probably be good for your rig, but your processor wouldn't be able to keep up. See how high you cna get the CPU... if its a good Northwood (Failed Extreme Edition/30-capper) then it should be able to get to around 3.6-3.8 or maybe even more. I've seen many reports where 2.8s get over 3.6.

and btw:

Welcome to the Overclockers Forums!

I have a P4 2.8 northwood which I overclocked to 3.8ghz. Just remember that you need a better heatsink than a stock. As for speeding up your pc, I would get a new motherboard with PCI-express. I've heard good things about a nForce4 Ultra motherboard from Epox and one from DFI. Couple that with a 3000+ or 3500+ venice and a 6600gt like SolidxSnake said, and you have quite a nice computer.

-1cem4n

ok just htat i was thinking of getting another gig of ram !

get a 6800 youll be pleased

you dont really haevt o upgrade ur cpu just overclock it

1cem4n said:
Just remember that you need a better heatsink than a stock.

Just thought I'd re-iterate because this is VERY IMPORTANT as well.

More RAM never hurt anyone and is usually a great way to speed up your computer....but I'd go with the above suggestions first, because you do already have 1 Gig. If you still have money left over from their suggestions...

1 gig of ram is plenty, getting another gig will def. speed it up but not nearly as much as the OC and new vid card

Back