• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copying Files from one comp to another

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

I need to do a reinstall of Windows, so to save the hassle of Burning my Music to DVD I want to just transfer it over to my other PC. They are netwroked together wirelessly but transfer over the network will take forever since our Wireless works really slowly - thick walls, old house.

So I had the idea of FTPing it over through a Crossover Cable. I use FlashFXP as my main FTP Program. How do I do this? Just connect together, enter the IP of the other comp (How to i find this?) and transfer?

Yeah, Ive got a 128mb Flash Drive, no way Im paying for 2GB Flash memory. Cheaper to get a HDD. But its a moot point, I did the transfer over the network.

X-over cable is good to use, I have a crossover cable setup going from my desktop for when I have to transfer bigger files to my laptop, it's 100Mbps max and about 12-50Mbps average.

There are other ways, I believe. What about IEEE1394? from what I understand, if you have firewire on both computers, you can use the IEEE1394 network for file transfers (~400Mbps).

Lastly, there are products out there that utilize USB 2.0 (~480Mbps). Check out some computer stores.

xover cable? I think I need that if it's what I think it is... It can transfer files from 1 system to another using USB right? Where can I get that?

pnutz409 said:
xover cable? I think I need that if it's what I think it is... It can transfer files from 1 system to another using USB right? Where can I get that?

Its not USB, Crossover is ethernet. Just networking two computers together without a router.

Better yet, if you have a decent sized spare HDD hanging around, why not slave it and drag 'n' drop? Things might go quite a bit quicker. I bought a WD 80gb hard disk just for this purpose since i've been doing so much transfer lately

~ Gos

what have you got in there? on my GF's computer, we just slide out her CD Rom and pop an EIDE slave in it's place.

~ Gos

whitebloodcell said:
Its a Dell you see. (I ashamed) so only has room for two 2 HDDs.
Just open the case hook up the hdd to the cable and leave it outside of the case while you are copying the data across - no need to screw the hdd in place etc.

whitebloodcell said:
Its a Dell you see. (I ashamed) so only has room for two 2 HDDs.

You don't have to mount the drive somewhere, just pull the cd-rom out and stick an HDD in, all temporary like and drag n drop.

~ Gos

Crossovers rock. Not only can you directly connect two computers together, most switches now compensate for crossovers and so you can connect them PC <--> switch now :)

Cjwinnit said:
Crossovers rock. Not only can you directly connect two computers together, most switches now compensate for crossovers and so you can connect them PC <--> switch now :)

I don;t understand what you mean

It means, that regardless of whether you connect a crossover cable, or a straight through cable, both will work the same, the newer switches are smart like that.

Personally, i use a D-Link hub that does that for a personal intra-net in my apartment, works terrific :)

~ Gos

Back