• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm OR 80mm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dmatko

What would cool a 5x3 rad more efficiently. a 120mm TT thunderblade, or a TT smart fan 2? both are rated to push out about 75cfm. the 120 is more silent, and i would think it would be able to cover more surface area. the fan will be hooked up to a fan controller, so noise is a minor issue. thnx :p

id say the 120mm one, if you place it further enough away, to kill the deadspot. the 80mm will probably be ran at 7v's alot more then the 120mm one, due to noise. so the 120mm will probably be the better choice.

from the reviews i did, the panaflo did win in the cfm category, 86cfm vs TT 78cfm. it also however won in the db category, 35db vs TT 21db. overall, the airflow improvement didnt mean much at 8cfm in comparison to the 14db increase in noise. i want to go watercooling so theres less noise, which is why i chose the TT. besides, IT GLOWS BLUEEEEEE.....lol

i agree with you on that one ccu. placement actually does matter in terms of noise, power, and cooling even. i ran a few home tests using an infrared temp gauge. I got the best results using a shroud, and spacing the fan 1" away from the rad. to be honest, i purchased a kit for my setup. yeah yeah, i know, everyone says build your own. but for $130, this seemed the easier way to go. besides, its my first attempt and just want to get a hang of things first. i think the setup i have goin should work out pretty well considering the mods i did. i might do a post up of my results after i finish it.

thnx to all for replys

just so you know, that thermaltake fan is nowhere even near 22dba loud - its s totally BS rating - in real life, its about the same as the panaflo medium speed (35dba), and 35dba is what most normal case fans are reated at, so overall, you're better with the panaflo

I don't know how's thermaltake is measuring DB but they aren't good at all. I have siverstone 120mm 22db fan which is silent and thermaltake 92mm fan which is rated by tt as 21db and sounds like my evercool 120mm 30db fan

Back