• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas for an old P1 Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustard Duster

A friend of mine gave me his old dell pc to see if I could do anything with it. From what I can tell, the only thing wrong with it is a bad harddrive. Here are the specs:
P1 200MHz
64 MB RAM
Onboard Video w/ 2 MB of RAM

I have a decent sound card and ethernet card that I could add. Any ideas???

I have a couple of 200Mhz P-1s folding, I am surprised by how fast I do get WU's finished. About 1 every week, actually not too bad. but stay away from big packets, It will NEVER finish it.
as an experiment I got one and it never got past 2% over a 6 month trial period.

not sure if you can find a decent HDD for it,
but if you have a network: use the pc as a storage server (for mp3s or whatever data you want to share).

My Thoughts

I have seen several hd's that you could get on ebay for just the shipping if you take your time and are not in a hurry.
I have seen several systems close to that(if fact I used one for a couple of years) used as a firewall.
If all else fails it will make some neighbor kid happy as thier first computer.

I've got a nice Pentium P55C running as an FTP server, and for the heck of it I set it to fold as well. I figure there can't be any harm :)

Back