• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater core < 5.25" wide?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doh boy

so as the title says, where can i find a heater core designed for two 120mm fans that's less than 5.25" wide? i want it to be able to fit between the drive rails of my case so that i dont need to cut them.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
check the bonneville cores without air conditioning, i know they are smaller then the ones with air conditioning.
They are also much more expensive, iirc it was something like $50 :(

Remember something about a Toyota Celica having a 5" core, but IIRC, they were on the pricey side as well.

doh boy said:
so as the title says, where can i find a heater core designed for two 120mm fans that's less than 5.25" wide? i want it to be able to fit between the drive rails of my case so that i dont need to cut them.

I swear I've been meaning to ask this exact same question all week.
Mine doesn't fit.....(bonneville) :(

hmm..i took a look at the celica heatercore at napa autoparts...its 5 1/16"...but its only 8 5/8" tall...so it wont fit 2x120 fans perfectly....

and its also $48...any other ideas?

I just looked through a long list of heatercores with dimenions and the only ones that I find that are less than 5" wide are from older Hondas and cost $80, and they are only 8" long.

i wonder if its possible to crush/cut the side off of a bonneville heatercore? from pics...it doesnt seem like theres a water channel until about 1 cm into the sides......

has anyone tried that?

ahh crap that link didnt work. just go to autozone.com, put in a zipcode, and search for a 1977 bonneville with out ac. it will show one for 18 bucks that will fit, or you can google a fedco 2-199.

can anyone else verify this? i read somewhere else that water actually flows through all of the ribs in the heater core.....

doh boy said:
can anyone else verify this? i read somewhere else that water actually flows through all of the ribs in the heater core.....
Yup I smashed in a couple rows actualy. Accidently put a hole in the outer row too. No problems.

BTW had to smash a bit to get it to clear the memory in my case, HC is up top.

voigts: can you search through autozone and it will give you dimensions of Heatercore sizes? I tried it with the Bonneville and all it gives me is price.

Be great if someone could help me show how the site works cause I'm looking for a specific heater core size too.

Cheers
LycanT

hmm heres the details, from auto zone, with Airconditioning seems to be smaller?

399078.jpg

then W/o a/c

398219.jpg

sure it is an inch shorter, but it will fit in the bay, because a bay is not actually 5.25 inches, it seems to be more closer to 6, i am going to pick one up and see how it is... and if it fits, i will keep you posted..

i just called pep boys, and they got them both but the A/c is like 34$, and w/o is like 27$ does that sound right?

Back