• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for advice and options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I have a chenming something. It's one of the big blue cases which are 26" tall or so. It's a monster and will be great for modding. Only problem is that I don't have the time or patience for that this summer.

I was curious about watercooling. I was looking at the pre-made cases at frozencpu.com. The idea of paying an arm and a leg for a premade case and system bothers me, but I will take it in stride for convenience's sake.

The Lian-Li PC-75 caught my eye. I was thinking about coupling it with one of the newer asetek watercooling kits, recently reviewed. Would the components in the kit suffice for the items I have? Or maybe there are some better choices?

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro- OEM (256MB, 256Bit) which can hit x800 speeds I believe. A mobile 2500+ Barton on an Abit NF7s rev2 board. I just want quality components to last for a while and cool effectively.

On the cpu I have thermalright SLK-900 witha vantec stealth and the card has Zalman heatpipe deal (fanless). I hate that cooler because it takes up another PCI slot, but the heat pipe extends into the hard drives.

Any suggestions will be graciously received. Thanks

CD

I wouldn't go with a pre-made case and system...you could do it yourself with fairly minimal modding. The Lian-Li PC-75 would be a good choice. It wouldn't be too hard to mount a 120mm heatercore in it, and then the rest is a snap. Get a Swiftech MCW6002 for the CPU and an MCW50, or DD Maze4 for the GPU. Pick up a pump of your choice, some tubing, some clamps...you're set.

The Asetek kit might not be the best choice.

I have a homade water cooling thread. If you get the pieces when you have the time you can make and External Cooler. I like the external cooler as I run the pump 120v through a relay and the radiator fans are 120v too. I do not feed the juice to the pump off the Power Supply Unit so I have more for the rest of the PC. It is for a handy man sort and you can do it cheaply. If you have basic carpentry skills you can make a box. chop a cabinet, whatever, or some guys leave all the stuff out in the air as you mount the radiator cooling fans on a shround on the radiator.

I say look around here.

For convenience there is no way to beat a kit like a Zalman reserator and that block will not take up the PCI slot and there won't be a glowing mass of hot heatsink in your case, therfore, you can cut the fans back, as you will not be sucking the CPU heat off the heatsink, but rather pumping it out via water.

I know the lian li cases can be a breeze to mod, I have 2 of the pc-60's. I currently can't do the carpentry stuff to make an external unit (wheelchair) and the only reason I was looking for a prebuilt package was the ease of buying and using instead of picking and such. But if that is still the way to go, I can give it a try. I really want a case that I can mount a radiator, like the extreme 3, on the top of the case with 3 120mm fans. Even on a low setting it should easily take care of the job. Won't it?

I am sure it depends on the other parts of the system, but the extreme 3 is a good choice right?

Back