• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undeleteable files....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crana

I once had an app that backed up my HDD (40GB) onto my 120GB HDD, but i have got rid of it since (It didn't work :shrug: ) But now i cant delete the files! And they take up just over 21GB of space! Windows says there in use or something, but i only use the HDD for downloads, music and stuff. Is there any way to get rid of them without formating as the hard drive is getting kinda full and i don't want to buy another one. Thanks :)

Here's a screeny BTW :

screeny6cs.jpg

If that happens to me I usually delete them over the network from another machine, or delete them from DOS command. Have you tried using Disk Cleanup?

Whoa dude, those are some SERIOUSLY large files....I say copy (NOT BACKUP) anything you need from that drive over to a spare one, and format it. Formatting is fun :D

But, I warn you, that is a LAST RESORT!

when i cant delete something as it's in use i try and shut down the process that's being used. Other than that i boot into safe mode and delete it from there (or just the file, .dll or whatever) that it says is being used. I find this works quite often but not always.

Ive actually had luck before with one or two files by right-clicking>open with>choose some random program that's not meant to be used for the file>checking the box to "always use this program to open this type of file">exit or reboot>and then hopefully that's messed the file up so it doesnt know what it's meant to do :D only worked once or twice mind.

...cripes, ive posted twice in as many minutes haha i must be feeling frisky lol

Captain Slug: Yes :)

NsOmNiA91130: I havent got another drive, i only have 5GB left on my main drive and there's over 86GB of stuff on that drive (including those stupid files) :eek:

geko: Im gonna try safe mode now, i unistalled the app ages ago, and i don't think its possible for the files to be running, since ive formatted twice since ive had those files :(

Last edited:
Try deleting the files using Delete Doctor 2.1. available from Majorgeeks here...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4473

You could also try this method if the the above doesn't work for you...

Close all open programs, and click Start | Run | Type taskmgr.exe and click OK. Leave Task Manager open, and click Start | Run | Type cmd and click OK. Leave the Command Prompt window open, go to Task Manager and click the "Processes" tab; "End Process" on "Explorer.exe". Go to the Command Prompt window and navigate to the file that you'd like to delete, and enter del <filename>. Go back to Task Manager | Click "File" | New-->Task | Enter explorer.exe to restart the GUI.

The following MSKB article may also be of some help to you...

You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder on an NTFS file system volume

Back