• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Dimension 4600 Windows Installation Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qwertyuiop

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 which I am trying to install Windows on. I set the BIOS to boot from CD. When I turn on the computer it gives me the option to boot to the CD and I press any key. Then it says, "Setup is configuring your hardware." Then the screen goes black and stays there. The HDD activity LED remains lit constantly, and when I press the power button it turns off immediately, rather than needing to hold it for a while. What is the problem, is it faulty hardware, or a broken Windows disk?

Could be something wrong with the hard drive. Are you sure you got your hdd jumper settings correct? Check that. Might want to try swapping the ide cable too, if you've got a spare. Q: does your bios see the drive correctly? Check that too. Q: You sure you got the ide cable plugged in correctly at both ends? Check that too. While you're at it, check your power cable too. Might want to try swapping it with any spare not being used (if there is one). Can you tell if the drive is actually spinning up? That would also tell you if it's getting power or not.

Which version of Windows are you trying to install?
It does sound as if you are having a hardware hangup.

sounds like a messed up hdd... happened to me when i messed up my hdd's mbr and boot sector..

i forget how I fixed it, but I did get to it eventually. I know I used kanotix to repartition my HDD

Back