• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone heard of this command?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

honhon

Hey all, i was just listening to a prank call online, made me laugh pretty good.

the prank caller totally messed up a persons computer, they were claiming to be a computer tech trying to help her.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS, PLEASE DO NOT TYPE THIS IN
heres the command: deltree /y C:\*.*

has anyone heard seen of this? i am wondering what exactly its doing. also the woman had windows 98 if that makes any difference.
Again i am just wondering if anyone has seen/heard of this, and know what it does. im a curious individual about OS's

Also, if an admin wipes this or locks it i will understand, im just asking though.

AGAIN I CANNOT STRESS THIS, PLEASE DO NOT TYPE THIS IN

Basically, it deletes every Directory on the system (deltree c:\*.*), and never confirms (/y).

We were showed how to do it in college for our Win98 class.

cool.... thats what i suspecting it did.

just wanted to clarify it.

Also, does it just get to certain point when the GUI crashes or what?

LOL, whoever did that is an *******. This is why people should be forced to learn how to use a computer from DOS to XP. This reminds me of something funny. In one of my EET classes We had this question on homework: What will the command FORMAT C:\ do? Even though it clearly stated DO NOT ATTEMPT COMMAND ON AN ACTUAL COMPUTER, some people in my class still did it.

LOL. When I was 12 our family friend who was also our computer tech would come over and tech me about DOS and such. The one teaching I totally remember is to never type deltree. I finally got enough guts to use it about six years ago, but I totally agree with him telling me never to use it.

Feydd said:
LOL, whoever did that is an *******. This is why people should be forced to learn how to use a computer from DOS to XP. This reminds me of something funny. In one of my EET classes We had this question on homework: What will the command FORMAT C:\ do? Even though it clearly stated DO NOT ATTEMPT COMMAND ON AN ACTUAL COMPUTER, some people in my class still did it.

morons, lol, my job is doing tech support, and there was a noob getting hired, and he actually had the nerve to ask my friend and i what a defrag does.

i wanted to ask him, "why are you doing tech support, if you dont know what defrag does?"

****! That just killed my XP install!

j/k ;)

That is a real command, but I don't know if it still works in XP. I do know that it works in real DOS though.

just a fyi, deltree doesn't exist with winxp. rmdir basically works the same way as deltree does, but it is an older dos command that is why it works with win98.

i would post the prank call but my other post that had a few tech calls on it and didnt bleep out the cus words,well it got locked, so if anyone wants to here the prank call, you would probably have to PM me or google for it.

honhon said:
heres the command: deltree /y C:\*.*

Don't work in XP. I ran the run command and typed the prompt in directly.
I got this.....

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 64
Enablingwolf said:
Don't work in XP. I ran the run command and typed the prompt in directly.
I got this.....

mbentley said:
just a fyi, deltree doesn't exist with winxp. rmdir basically works the same way as deltree does, but it is an older dos command that is why it works with win98.

I do regular backups. So its not so bad for me. I do crazy stuff with windows just to find the effect.

Back