• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

big problem encountered answers appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azianese

I just got my watercooling setup set up. By that, I mean just the tubes and such and I was ready to start a leak test.

Anyways, I decided to put the super coolant or whatever in first and I guess me being the coolest person ever spilled some. For one, some got on the video card, on the case floor, and even on the atx power connector. Out of the 20 or so pins, atleast half are purple right now.

I'm guessing I shouldn't necessarily start my leak test right now (was going to use the power supply wire jump start method) but what should I do about the coolant everywhere? I already kind of cleaned it up although the pins on the atx connectors are still purple. Should I try an alcohol bath or something or can I wait it out?

I'd do an alcohol bath with isopropyl alcohol then let it air dry (shouldn't take too long). You could dunk the whole 20 pin connector in and swish it a bit. The alcohol might affect the TIM between the gpu die and heatsink on the video card. I'd remove the gpu waterblock, do the alcohol cleaning, then remount the block using new TIM (thermal interface material).

Spills happen. I've had to clean an entire motherboard and video card before.

couldnt you fill the whole system before you installed it, or was it a tough install where you needed to put it together inside the system?

Just make sure you get it all cleaned and soaked off before you fire it up so that you have no danger of anything shorting out.

yeah alright thanks. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to like buy a new power supply or if super coolant messed up stuff more than water.

azianese said:
yeah alright thanks. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to like buy a new power supply or if super coolant messed up stuff more than water.
i think super coolant can definately screw things up, but not as long as u rinse it off good. afaik the damage comes from powering up components that are shorted, i.e. have water or coolant on them. Coolant residue is conductive and it may even be somewhat corrosive to electronics. Good luck.

i think super coolant can definately screw things up, but not as long as u rinse it off good. afaik the damage comes from powering up components that are shorted, i.e. have water or coolant on them. Coolant residue is conductive and it may even be somewhat corrosive to electronics. Good luck.
Yup, that's right. Leaks only hurt something if they cause corrosion or short something on. Components need to be powered to get shorted out, so...you're fine. As long as it's clean and you dry it off before you start again, you're good.

Back