• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Restorer

Once school is out and before my job starts this summer, I'd like to build up a new system for gaming, folding, and Linux use. It will be overclocked to the edge of stability.

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice - Monarch - $149
DFI nForce4 Ultra-D - Newegg - $133
2x PQI Turbo PC3200 512MB TCCD - Already have
Powercolor R43C-TD3D X800XL PCIe - Newegg - $283
Seagate 7200.7 SATA NCQ 120GB - Newegg - $86
NEC 3520A Superdrive - Newegg - $47
Fortron FSP400-60THN-R (Yes, 400W) - Newegg - $77
Thermalright XP-90 - Sidewinder - $30
Delta 92x38mm Triple Blade High Speed - Sidewinder - $14
Lian Li PC-60 Plus, Silver - Newegg - $141
Lian-Li CD Bezel - Newegg - $8
Premium Lapping Kit - easypckits.com - $13
Ceramique or AS5?
Temp Monitor
Homemade Fan Controller

As it is, the list comes out to just under $1000, not including shipping or the undecided items. I'd like to keep it around this level. Go ahead and ask about the less-than-500W power supply. I'll craft a response while I wait.

As for Ceramique vs. AS5, I've used Ceramique for a while, and I like it. I haven't yet used AS5. Since I plan on doing a good job lapping my heatsink, I'm a little worried about particle size. Ceramique has a smaller average particle size, but I don't know what the range of sizes is. A standard deviation number would be nice. ;)

I am looking for a suitable temperature monitor. I don't need any front ports, and I don't want it to have any fan control; just temperature readouts. I will be building a very suitable fan controller myself - just wait until you see what I have planned.

Like I said, I am going to use this rig to play games (at first primarily World of Warcraft and X-Plane), and I know that the X800XL at stock is more than enough for me. I currently play WoW at the native resolution of my 2005FPW (1680x1050) with my Radeon 9500 Softmod, and I'm happy with it. When I'm not gaming, I'll use it as a linux desktop, probably for light to moderate use, aside from folding.

So how does it all sound? Any recommendation? Comments? Concerns? Suggestion box is on the wall behind you. :D

I would get the thermalright xp-90C because it is all copper. For myself, i will be getting the xp-120. :santa:

I would go with AS ceramique.

To save money, dont get cd drive cover unless you need it for matching purposes or something.

Could go with AMD Venice 3200+ for a little more "umph" :santa:

Those are suggestions... everything looks fine, but that is what I would change if it were me.

Good luck with your setup!! :santa: :santa: :santa:

EDIT- hehe... forgot the WD Raptor 73GB 10k. :p

If you want Linux and 3D, you don't want ATI.

Save yourself some trouble and get a 6800.

millhouse said:
I would get the thermalright xp-90C because it is all copper. For myself, i will be getting the xp-120. :santa:

I suppose I'm still trying to decide between the XP-90 and the XP-120 for myself. I will not be going with the 90C because I don't think the miniscule thermal advantage is worth all that extra money, despite what I've said in the past (talk is cheap ;) ).

millhouse said:
To save money, dont get cd drive cover unless you need it for matching purposes or something.

Isn't that all it's good for? "Matching purposes"?

millhouse said:
Could go with AMD Venice 3200+ for a little more "umph" :santa:

What more "umph" is there in a 3200+? The 3000's seem to reach similar clock speeds; it's just the 10x multiplier that's missing, and I won't really miss that.

millhouse said:
EDIT- hehe... forgot the WD Raptor 73GB 10k. :p

I won't go down the hard drive road... What I have is more than sufficient for my needs.

{PMS}fishy said:
If you want Linux and 3D, you don't want ATI.

Save yourself some trouble and get a 6800.

I've definitely worked on that problem on my current computer, and I have the drivers working fine now with my Radeon 9500. I will not be using 3D much in Linux, but it would be nice to have the acceleration for when I need it. Do ATI's current drivers (at least the lastest in Portage) support the X800XL?

I have no idea if they support the x800xl, but I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't.

Back