• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What did I fry?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harper81

Registered
So I live in Australia, but from the U.S. therfore I have transformers threw out my house to make my american appliances work. I had my pc hooked up to one of the transformers so the power supply switch was set to the 115 position. Well I just got back to my house from my 20 day vacation and switched my computer to 220 volt power, but I did not switch the power supply switch. SO I push the power button and seen the flash through my top window and heard a pop. Followed by the wonderful aroma of burnt pc parts. So what all could have fried. I am hoping for best case just the power supply. Is it possible that I took out the mobo and chip also?

Possible? Sure. Can we tell without testing? Not really. You should buy another PSU, put it in...And if it boots up you'll know for sure. Most likely it was just the PSU :)

-Barret

Only way to actually find out is through testing components sytematically, but first thing to do is look for visible damage. There is probably a good chance you damaged more than the PSU.

I'm guessing the power supply has some kind of fuse to prevent you from frying your computer. You may have done nothing more than blown a fuse. Open up your power supply and check. Just be careful in there, cuz those capacitators can still hold charge.

If you have a spare power supply throw that in and see if it still works.

drain your PSU first (short the green and a black wire from the ATX connector, unplug the PSU, and put the switch on).

but first, try turning your rig on with that PSU in there. Like NG said, it was probably just a fuse.

Back