• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New OC'r

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackmoonmike

Registered
Hello, this is my first post. :)
This will be the first time I attempt to Overclock a computer, and chances are with what I already have I won't get very far. Therefore I'm looking to make a purchase of a new computer. I've got roughly $900 to spend and based on what I've seen so far here these are some of the choices I've made.

Motherboard

Case & Power Supply

Memory

Hard Drive

Processor Fan

Processor Heatsink

Processor

I already have an ATI X800XL for video, and an External DVD/CD Burner Drive that I can use. If anything that I've chosen is no good for overclocking please let me know. Being that this is my first time trying to building/Overclocking a machine I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

BTW, I already placed an order for the Corsair memory, does NewEgg make much hassle for changing an Item that hasnt shipped yet?

that might not be the best memory, there are many other faster memory sets that will perform better than the corsair set.. I have corsair xms ddr 3200 and it was not running as fast as it could for 2 years, until I updated the bios on my DFI motherboard.. I'm on intel though, and Memory timings is a lot more complex on AMD. Here is a good set of memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890

Ok, first thing is the memory: Its fine but the OCZ is better and cheaper!
Now as for the proc, I think its a waste of money, get a Venice 3200 and OC it and you will get the same results as the 3500+ OCed. For more info check this link.
Also you need a GOOD PSU, I can reccomend a Fortron Blue Storm. I think its 70$ at NewEgg and then get a cheaper and more practical case.
This will set you up REAL nice.

Flip-Mode said:
Ok, first thing is the memory: Its fine but the OCZ is better and cheaper!
Now as for the proc, I think its a waste of money, get a Venice 3200 and OC it and you will get the same results as the 3500+ OCed. For more info check this link.
Also you need a GOOD PSU, I can reccomend a Fortron Blue Storm. I think its 70$ at NewEgg and then get a cheaper and more practical case.
This will set you up REAL nice.

Thanks for the Info, I had a feeling that memory would have been better. I cancelled with Newegg and re-placed an order for the OCZ.

Blackmoonmike said:
Thanks for the Info, I had a feeling that memory would have been better. I cancelled with Newegg and re-placed an order for the OCZ.

Actually, I can't replace the order. It doesn't seem to be available. Anyone know how long it usually for sold out items to become avail?

Flip-Mode said:
Sorry mike but as you can see I'm an Israeli, I just use NewEgg for price finding as it is one of the best and most popular stores around there.
I understand, its not a must that I purchase from there. I'm sure there are many other stores I can find this memory. Thanks thus far Flip, you've been a great help.

Back