• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faint Clicking Sound From Computer When Using Mouse Wheel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewalk123

I recently removed a 92mm Tornado Fan from my case. Ever since then I have noticed a faint clicking sound coming from my computer (not my speakers) when I use the scroll wheel on my mouse to browse through web pages. I assume this was happening before I removed the fan, but I just couldn't hear it over the fan noise.

I found a similar problem from another member here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=381210&highlight=mouse+wheel

It looks like it was a PSU issue and switching molex connectors fixed it for them. I tried switching connectors and the clicking remains. My video card is not modded, has original bios and is not overclocked. My initail thought is a weak PSU.

Any thoughts anyone?

It's definately a PSU problem. When I'm using my Raidmax 420w (im stuck in it till I get a new slim fan), if Num Lock is on, there is a faint high-pitched whine (VERY high-pitched, more than most tweeters can produce), and when I move the mouse, it gets louder. No way to fix it, its just the PSU.

Thanks for the quick response. You have confirmed my suspicions. I guess its time to get rid of this PSU. It looks nice, but I dont think it measures up.

Thaanks again.

Back