• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leak test question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMainFrame

Ok on a leak test how can i get the pump running if there are no componets in there?

Doesent the MB need to supply a load to get the PSU fired up?

its fine, just dont mess up when doing that. the way i did it was just have the setup right outside my case.. my comp was still turning on with HSF on the proc. only way this is dangerous if you have a squirt coming out of your loop, not likely but it all depends on you! i used zip ties, and i am VERY happy with them, 2 on each connection and super steady

lol, 5 bucks for a piece or wire with some insulation on it, do it yuorslef, and hold it with a paper towel if your worried, it really inst a big deal, just go for it

I don't even use my main ps to leaktest. I have an old extra PS that I use only for this. You can pick one up used at a computer repair shop for like $5-$10 if you are concerned. I jump the green and black with a piece of insulated wire. I figure that way if for some reason something were to mess up, who cares if I fry a cheap PS. Plus, I don't have any drives hooked up either to worry about.

does the quality of the PSU/watts, or any of that stuff effect the flow or use of the pump?

xCRF450 said:
lol, 5 bucks for a piece or wire with some insulation on it, do it yuorslef, and hold it with a paper towel if your worried, it really inst a big deal, just go for it

I wasent worried about my saftey.. LoL

Just my PSU but i guess since im just grounding it its 100% safe.. well 99% anyways :)

paper clip with electrical tape is what i used to use before i took an old mobo and stripped it and made my own connector with a handle. the very next day i was in akihabara and i found the connectors on sale and could have saved my self an hour lol

ATX PSUs should have no problem running without any load. AT power supplies were nice, because they had the potential to explode if you ran them like that. Your PSU is perfectly safe. :)

Uhhhh AT PSUs blow up when run with low load on them... er....

I use an old AT PSU to test fans which is a habit I guess I need to not do anymore.

Uhhhh AT PSUs blow up when run with low load on them... er....
Mostly with no load at all. If there's at least some load you should be fine. I run just fans on an AT PSU for testing, and it's ok.

Back