• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me identify the use of this wire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sheldron

THIS USER IS A TROLL-Per SSS
I know it's for running dual monitors... but wth does the big black plug go to? :shrug:

plug1.jpg

plug2.jpg

nope, it didn't come with a vid card, it came with a co-worker's Dell computer, but no place on his PC to plug it into.

My Matrox Parhelia came with a cable that looks just like that, check to see if he has a tri-head card. It plugs into the DVI port and use's the extra pins for the second monitor.

I think he got it by mistake.

I found a description on Dell.com "DMS 59-pin to Dual VGA ™ (Y-adapter)" for a MD-219 19-inch Dual Flat Panel Display System with 64 MB Quadro NVS 280 Video Card..

Must be an older product because Dell's link was broken to go further.
Looks like a proprietary connector for that video card alone. If he'd had it upgraded to what's in the box now, that too would explain why it doesn't plug into anything.

I just started working at a place that just got a bunch of new Dells, they all have this. It does plug into a video card to allow dual monitors. The cable is needed because the video card is half height, and doesn't have room for two VGA ports. These computers all have on board video as well, so it's likely that his computer could have come with the card, but it didn't, and the cable was stuck in the box by accident.

Thank you guys... next question... does anyone want it? shoot me a PM to arrange shipping. (NO, this is not for sale!!! I'll give it to anyone who has a need for it)

Diggrr said:
I think he got it by mistake.

I found a description on Dell.com "DMS 59-pin to Dual VGA ™ (Y-adapter)" for a MD-219 19-inch Dual Flat Panel Display System with 64 MB Quadro NVS 280 Video Card..
The ones I've seen with a similar cable have half-height Radeon X300s.

Yep, since the link was broken on their page, I couldn't check it out any further. Glad you had more uptodate info than Dell did :D

My Matrox was full sized and had two DVI plugs (and two VGA adapters). Miss that card, but it was only 32Meg and w/o a tv tuner.

Back