• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

link1305

...is freaking terrible :bang head :bang head :bang head

My network consists of 4 computers, all in the same workgroup. I have:

-My desktop connected to a router (wired)
-A linux samba server connected to a router (wired)
-Another XP box connected to the router (wirelessly)
-A laptop connected to the router (wired)

The main problem is accessing files on my desktop. Whenever I try to access directories (that have been shared on my desktop) from either the wireless XP box, or the laptop, it says "Not enough server storage is available to process this command". :shrug: I can access files on the samba server and the wireless desktop fine. From MY desktop, I can even access files from any of the computers, just not the other way around.

And this is more of a complaint.....why the hell is windows networking sooooooo slooooooow? From the wireless box it takes at least 15 seconds from the time I double click a directory to the time it opens it. Should I blame that on the wireless?

Thanks guys

windows networking isnt slow for me like that, i dont have that issue using a wireless to wired network daily (linksys 54G') - it is almost instant for me, could be the configuraton of the wireless or bad cabling ?

My roommate used to access my files wirelessly (linkys 54G too) and ther ewere no issues - everything was instant. Perhaps there are some issues with router itself of samba server?

again, no slowness here for me either. Try disabling the WebClient service this helps our XP machines at work.

There is a known bug with windows networking, (IRPStackSize), usually caused by norton antivirus. Check event viewer for id 2011. If you have you just need to change a regedit setting: HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\parameters and find IRPStackSize and change it to 15 (default). If its not there create a DWORD with decimal base and give it the value 15. Reboot and it should (fingers crossed) work.

Back