• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ghetto Sewer Pipe Reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L33M

Was cleaning out my garage over the weekend (honey-do) and ran across some leftovers from a plumbling project I'd done during one of the many remodelling "phases" my poor house has been through (don't get me started). It occured to me that I had the makings of a decent water reservoir for my W/C set-up (not real happy with my HTPE bay res). Here's the result...

sewer_res.jpg

What I had: 3" DWV (drain waste vent, fancy name for plastic sewer pipe), 3" clean-out fitting with plug, 3" end cap.

What I bought: 2x 1/2" hose barbs, 2x 90* 5/16" hose barbs, 1' 5/16" clear tubing.

In less than an hour, I had assembled a very practical (but not terribly attractive) 1 quart reservoir with a nice big filler port and a sight gauge. Total cost (counting the value of the DWV parts), about $12. Woot!

i think that is sweet, that guage is very nice, shuold work well, especially with some dye in there..

If your water has dye in it that gauge will be extra cool. That thing has "I'm hardcore" written all over it.

xCRF450 said:
how much liquid did it end up holding?
Just a little over a quart. It's about ten inches tall.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
give it some nice green uv dye, or yellow uv dye, and make a biohazard themed wcing setup
It won't be visible from outside the box unless I pop open the side panel to check the fluid level. I'm into practical and don't really care about what it looks like.

That looks like a good home protection device. :thup:

When the water level inside the res drops below the inlet, can you hear the water splashing in the res if the cap is on?

yeah, i was kinda wondering that myself, i would have recommended the inlet to be a little bit lower, that way you would actually have other then full readings on the gauge, and would be able to periadically check it for loss of water, instead of having a major problem of going dry if it does... especially since your not constantly watching it because of the lack of a window..

run a piece of tubbing on the inside of the inlet barb so there is no spashing, that will allow you to run lower water levels.

yeah that would work well, you could get a double barbed fitting, then just attatch some tubbing and make it really easy.. as corvette said.

xCRF450 said:
do you not have a window on your case?
No, no window. If I had a window I'd have to tidy up the inside of my case!

Polonator said:
can you hear the water splashing in the res if the cap is on?
I haven't plumbed into my system yet, so don't know for sure, but I would guess yeah. I didn't think about that until after I'd drilled the holes. Probably can't run it with the cap off or it will splash out.

xCRF450 said:
i would have recommended the inlet to be a little bit lower
Yeah, it would have been better to put the inlet lower and the top barb for the gauge a little higher.

ls7corvete said:
run a piece of tubbing on the inside of the inlet barb
Wouldn't that cause a restriction in the flow? I may try to fabricate some kind of deflector for the inlet so that the flow into the res is directed downward, or I may just build Rev 1.1. It's dirt simple to do, and pretty cheap!

I'm going to make one too, it will replace my ghetto 1L pop bottle + barb + cut open top res, which cost me aroun 2$ (value of pop bottle included).

Hmmm... Might do something simular in my next setup... Thinking of making it hold ALOT of water so I can have the fans run very rairly at night time.

Wouldn't that cause a restriction in the flow? I may try to fabricate some kind of deflector for the inlet so that the flow into the res is directed downward, or I may just build Rev 1.1. It's dirt simple to do, and pretty cheap!

Nah, stretch it over the threads on the inside.

BTW these are my fav, If I had a bigger case i would be using one now. I especially like them outside the case as this helps prevent spills, IME most spills are when filling.

Back