• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

broken pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squasher

This is my first water cooling set-up so bear with me. I have the Hydro L35, DD RBX, blackice extreme, and a bay res. I am running this all in a test loop in my bath tub. I set the loop up last yesterday morning to practice bleeding and to check for leaks. When I checked on it this morning the pump was making a lot of noise, like it was not getting water, which it was. I could also hear a sound like something moving around inside, hitting the walls. It was hot-ish, cool enough to pick up, but not just warm.
So, what happend to this pump?

sounds like the impeller/impeller shaft broke, which is a common problem with these types of pumps

but try shaking the pump to make sure that theres no air trapped inside it - if no air comes out, then its probably the impeller problem stated above (to fix this, a few places sell the impeller shaft assembly to replace it with, or you could just buy a new pump)

Well, after a shaking it stopped making noise so it seems to be the air. Thanks Sneaky!
now, on bleeding, in my test loop I have gotten all the air to the res, but I cant fill it. The air is going to the top, just not where the plug is. How do I get this air out?

is the plug at the top of the res? sometimes you have to play with them a little...

squasher said:
Well, after a shaking it stopped making noise so it seems to be the air. Thanks Sneaky!
now, on bleeding, in my test loop I have gotten all the air to the res, but I cant fill it. The air is going to the top, just not where the plug is. How do I get this air out?

tip the reservoir, or the entire case w/ the res inside it to the side so that air rises to the corner w/ the fill cap in it - it usually helps to have two people doing this - one to lift/tilt the case, and one to fill the res up to the top & put the plug back in it

The problem is, when I tip it, all the bubbles go to the very top corner, but the plug is a little off the corner, leaving about about a 1inch bubble hanging around.

Back