• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard just... died.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phaeton

OK, so Friday night I go to sleep, all is well in the watercooled rig, I wake up in the morning and wammo, computer is off but the power LED is on. It never turned on again.

I replaced the motherboard, and it works fine now, my question is why did my motherboard die?

It was a MSI i856PE Neo2-FIS2R board, running a 2.4 P4C at 3.4, stock voltages, 9800 Pro AIW card, SB Live 5.1, and the hardware in the system is 350W Topower PSU, 3x 80gB drives, 1x 160gB drive, 1x DVD-+RW, 1x CD-RW, 3 case fans, 1 120mm rad fan.

I read somewhere that a bad or weak PSU could cause components to overload? The system was running like this for the past year, no problems. Was it just time for the motherboard to die?

I guess there is a time for all hardware to go, wether it is 2 days, 2 weeks, or even 2 months after you bough :eh?:

My Ti 4200 did that to me...

R.I.P.

Heh, "rest in peace" was the last thing on my mind after 10 or 11 hits of the power button.

I was, how to put it, less than happy. I cursed enough to make the devil ashamed of himself.

Looking on the load you had on that PSU, it would be the first component I'd blame. I'd get a beefier supply for that rig ASAP. They're definitely less expensive than a new motherboard and will give you some peace of mind.

Ken

Ay, I think I will get a new one, this one served me well however.

Back