• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a backup method

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I need to start backing up some computers so I need a little input on what is the best method. I have been looking at buying one of the "one push" Western Digital external ones or the like but because of price I have not yet. The main thing I want is to be able to backup multiple (at least three) machines so anything that will do that quick and easy would be great. Any input on software or harware for this? :shrug:

External Hard drive would be a good/cheap idea. How much data are you looking to back up? Do you have usb2.0 or firewire? Firewire is generally a better solution. Are these computers networked? You could do a network backup, and that would be even easier/faster.

It depends if you want to just have a snapshot of the data, or if you need to be able to track changes over time, on the level of data integrity and the data size.

What sort of enviroment are we looking at? office/workplace should have a set of rules for backups (eg media pools, rotations etc), but the home user would just need to backup all files once and then, for example, monthly a differential backup would pickup changes made since the last backup.

I've just (30 min ago) taken delivery of several seagate 400GB drives (firewire) for backup of the work macs (several 300MB+ PS files). Ill let you know how we get on!

More info needed please.

Lonew0lf said:
It depends if you want to just have a snapshot of the data, or if you need to be able to track changes over time, on the level of data integrity and the data size.

What sort of enviroment are we looking at? office/workplace should have a set of rules for backups (eg media pools, rotations etc), but the home user would just need to backup all files once and then, for example, monthly a differential backup would pickup changes made since the last backup.

I've just (30 min ago) taken delivery of several seagate 400GB drives (firewire) for backup of the work macs (several 300MB+ PS files). Ill let you know how we get on!

More info needed please.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM DUDE!

tis awesome to see new members with such knowledge and experiance.

rock on! :cool: :welcome:

Not alot of space is needed really and a snapshot of each pc would do fine. I can just overwrite if its needed. The PCs are not on a network.

Back