• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is missing from my parts list?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I want to move on to water cooling from air because I eventually want to make a water chiller. I would appreciate any constructive criticism as I gather the parts.

Current Setup:
Abit NF-7s
AMD Mobile 2500+ Barton
Sapphire OEM 9800 Pro (256MB/256Bit)
1gb of Pc-3200 (think crucial 2-2-2 platinum)

Parts I was considering:

Black Ice Extreme 3
Maze 4-CPU
Unsure of pump
Acetal Maze4- GPU
Tygon 1/2" ID
Modded Lian-Li PC75B with room for the BIE3 on top.

I also need to know what else I need. I have some AS5, I know I need clamps (kind?) and a T-Fitting.

Should I use something like that XP+ coolant instead of water? The least amount of maintenance the better.

Right now, money is not an issue. Ease of installation is preferred. Thank you for any and all help.

CreeP

as for clamps, many people use the worm drive style clamps commonly found under the hood of your car, and some people simply use zip ties. Its purely preference.

As for the coolant, 100% water is the best performer, but also most risky. Spending extra money on fancy coolant might be a waste. The good stuff might look cool, and prevent corrosion and algae growth, but its nothing that cant be achieved with a cheap coolant solution.

I went from 10% antifreeze to 100% distilled (with some water wetter) and my temps droped almost 5 degrees.

Let us know how it turns out

That message is refreshing. I just noticed the coolant was $40/quart at a website I was searching. I am sure it can be cheaper, but if I use a T-line the filling will be easy anyway.

i'll give you a few suggestions as far as your stuff goes:

CPU Block: Danger Den TDX w/ brass top & extra nozzles

GPU Block: Danger Den Maze4 w/ Acetal top

Pump: MCP-655 (or Danger Den D5 when they get them in stock – it’s the same pump)

Radiator: Black Ice Extreme III

Tubing: Clearflex60 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD (1/8” wall)

Hose Clamps: Stainless Steel Worm Drive hose clamps (7/8" or 1" max. ID)

Fluids: Distilled water w/ 10% antifreeze (& water dye of choice of desired)

I would recommend the Swiftech MCW6002 for the CPU instead of a Maze4 or TDX. The TDX and RBX have some mounting issues on AXP's, and the Maze4 doesn't perform very well compared to what else is out there. Swiftech makes a solid product, and the MCW6002 is pretty versatile in that you can use a range of mounting brackets. That gives you some good upgrade options.

johan851 said:
I would recommend the Swiftech MCW6002 for the CPU instead of a Maze4 or TDX. The TDX and RBX have some mounting issues on AXP's, and the Maze4 doesn't perform very well compared to what else is out there. Swiftech makes a solid product, and the MCW6002 is pretty versatile in that you can use a range of mounting brackets. That gives you some good upgrade options.

i 2nd the vote for the MCW6002, plus it's cheaper w/ better peformance

I must have been still asleep when I posted earlier, but I had intended on using the 6002. But the maze4 for the GPU is ok right?

Also, is the antifreeze just to control algae etc?

Maze4 GPU is good. Antifreeze is a corrosion inhibitor, add some sort of biocide or algaecide with it. Search around for somthing of that sort, I've seen people using iodine, stuff for aquarium use, water bed additives...

The chemicals in antifreeze will act as a biocide but thats more of a nice plus for those with mixed metal systems ;). The main reason its used is in order to keep your watercooling system from becoming an oxidation/reduction experiment. If you run an all copper setup you can use just a biocide & get slightly better temps.

Moto7451 said:
The chemicals in antifreeze will act as a biocide but thats more of a nice plus for those with mixed metal systems ;). The main reason its used is in order to keep your watercooling system from becoming an oxidation/reduction experiment. If you run an all copper setup you can use just a biocide & get slightly better temps.

Now from my understanding Water Wetter is all three of those things correct? :bang head :bang head

So confused sometimes.

Two versions are shipped, in order to accommodate the various processor configurations:
*Flat base, for all Intel® and AMD® K8 processors.
*"Stepped base" for AMD® K7 generation processor.

On that 6002, get the K7 version and the K8 holddown (ordered seperately).
With a mobile chip there's no heatspreader (or thick slathering of TIM) so many camboxes on the socket aren't cleared by the A64 version's flat base.
The K7 version has the stepped base to clear the cam box like all the older nekid XP's used.
The K7 version's clips might grab the socket lugs if the socket has them on that mobo...dunno.

I have the P4/K8 flat version, and will probably have to sand the cambox down on my soon-to-arrive motherboard so that it's not held up off of my DTR.

If you don't worry about such things, fuggetaboutit. :)

Last edited:
That sounds like a good idea re: getting the k7 version with the k8 holddown. If that doesn't work, I may just buy a different CPU (if mandated)

I run a flat bottomed version on my A64 mobile DTR right now...AOpen uses a low profile socket so it doesn't hit...so I know that socket is out there, you may see one on your new board too since more mobo maker's are supporting mobiles.
Note: I'm not recommending you get an AOpen board, once the new board arrives, I may just shoot holes through this one and send it to them. :p

Other than the flat .vs stepped base, the blocks are the same. Only the holddown changes. I (being cheap and ghetto-skilled) used some JBWeld to add the A64 tabs onto my existing P4 holddown, and it works fine...though not as purty as theirs.
I might make a new one from a 1" ribbon of polished brass I have laying around here.

In short, make it work, keep the mobile.

Last edited:
Ok I ordered so far:

MCP 655
6002-A (with both types of brackets)
CLearflex
"T"
Modded Lian-li pc-75b
BLackIce Extreme3
Maze4 for GPU

I still need to decide on clamps, but is there anything else? Do I need any additional hosebarbs? I am not using a resevoir, so everything should fit together correctly I imagine.

no, stainless steel worm drive clamps like this:

14066.jpg

Back