• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"This is a powerhouse computer "

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masterwoot

I can't believe how misinforme/deceived people can be. I happened to notice this over at amazon.com regarding the "Jedi Academy" game:

Fun, awesome star wars action, one complaint, May 2, 2005
Reviewer: Firebrand (Woonsocket, RI) - See all my reviews.

first the complaint.

I just bought myself a Dell Dimension 8400 with P4 3.0 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon X300 SE with 128MB of Video Ram. This is a powerhouse computer.

I played Call of Duty, which graphically is a more advanced game than Jedi Academy, and finally had it play perfectly smoothly. It was such fun to do so. I then popped in Jedi Academy to test its performance in a faster environment (before I had a P4 2.0 Ghz, 64 MB NVIDIA GeForce 4, and 256 MB of RAM), and I was disappointed. I put the highest settings (1024x768, 32 bit color, high graphics) and the game ran choppy! I put it on "normal" settings, and the game STILL ran choppy. How is it possible that Call of Duty runs perfect, but Jedi Academy runs choppy? It doesn't make sense...

Anyway, you can set the graphic settings to the lowest (which is what I did), and it will play smoothly, but you won't get any of the graphics benefits. The game, however, is fun.

I wanted to contact the guy and let him know about the uber-fast onboard video they have out now too... LOL.

It's too bad though, that he bought that X300 SE thinking it was a powerhouse. :(

Note to self: resist temptation to exploit the uninformed.

Someone at my school did pretty much the same thing (except it was HP). I wonder how many people get "powerhouses" and dont realize it.

Quite a few, I think. Someone I know got a dell recently and they asked me to help them with it. They don't do any gaming that I know of (definately not the type of people who would), but when I looked at the video in windows it said 6800 series! I don't know which one it was, but even a normal 6800 is quite respectable, almost "powerhouse" worthy, much more so than an x300 for sure.

there should be a licence for buying computers, i mean they licence people to drive, so there should be a course and licence so people understand what it is they're buying before they do it

shard said:
well whats worse, is that jedi acadamy runs fine on my comp!

Exactly. Its Jedi Academy :D

Really, I can't wait till they invent something that lets you stab people remotely.

Computer Ed has now opened!! Get your permits!

It so hard not to flame the reviewer .....buuut, Some people believe that just because it has an "X" infront of the model number, It makes it a screamer.

shard said:
or if it has "DELL" in front of it

Exact opposite of a screamer. These things are dead quiet.

Guess thats why they have crap performance for demanding apps. X300, pschhha

LMAO. I talk to poeple all the time about computers and they be like my computer owns man I GOT A DELL! And they be like what you got and i'll go mines custum. And they go DUDE MY DELL OWNS YOUR COMPUTER CAUSE I MADE 1,800 for it DUDE! And i'd belike ok w/e. I used to be the same way. First computer i ever wanted to buy was a dell. Most of the time the poeple are aim and ***** about how slow their computers run.

shard said:
i know why Dells are so quiet, passive HS's, but they have to use crap parts to run those :D

and last time i checked, my 5200 is faster then a x300

The problem is that Dell has brainwashed their customers into thinking that they have the best computers and prices! Anybody can build a custom computer that is 20x better for the same price!

Dell computers are mostly crap. The cases are even worse!

subtotal said:
unless they play graphically intensive video games
Well, and even then it could still be fine for most people.

My nephew doesn't mind that the Sims 2 runs like a slideshow on my uncle's new computer.
P4 2.8Ghz, 256MB RAM of which 64MB is being consumed by the onboard videocard and a slow HDD.

:shrug:

Back