• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reassigning keyboard keys under windows xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

is it possible?

i have absoultly had it with these damn windows/menu keys getting in the way...it would be awsome if i could reassign them as another alt or ctrl key, it would be really good for homeworld 2

about all I remeber regarding this was this requires modifying the ANSI files in the system directory that tells windows the keybard key mappings. They key values were in HEX and not a very readable format. a carrage return was required at the end of each line (you'll have to look up its alt code in charmap.exe to create it) Just use that info and search the web. Stuff is pretty hard to find tho I havent messed with this since high school which was several years ago.

i don't know about reassign, but maybe if you disable windows from using for the start menu, you could still map a command to the key in the game?

to disable menu opoup add the following to the registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

Create new binary key called "Scancode Map" and enter the following:
00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,5B,E0,00,00,5C,E0,00,00,00,00

Or an easy way: create a file disable_winkeys.reg and copy this into it:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,5B,E0,00,00,5C,E0,00,00,00,00
edit: take out the space between 5b and e0. I don't know why that has appeared there - its not there when i edit.

To re-enable the keys just delete the Scancode Map key.

As usual with windows you will have to reboot for changes to take effect. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

Back