• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR vs SDRam; PC150 vs PC133

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spitzaf

I have 128 MB SDRAM right now and I want to purchase another 128 to go with my new 1.0ghz p3 processor. What I want to know is if pc150 will perform better than pc 133. Also, are there any compatibility problems with DDR and older mobo's? I want to find the fastest ram compatible with my board for the best price. Any help would be appreciated.

PC150 memory is no different than PC133. All it really is, is PC133 tested to run on a 150MHz front side bus. If you overclock your bus to 150MHz then you will get better memory score plus more bandwidth.

Good PC133 CAS2 memory will normally hit 150MHz no problem. All of my PC133 modules, CAS2 and CAS3, do 150MHz easily.

As far as DDR goes, it does have a much higher theoretical bandwidth than SDRAM. Real world performance is only slightly better, in most cases. DDR and SDRAM are NOT compatible with each other. You MUST have a motherboard that is DDR compatible.

Hope this answered your question. Ask away if not...

Back